Roller rockers

ss_scuba

Who all have used roller rockers on their SC's? I'm looking at the Scorpion set from BTMotorsports right now, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to know about any problems, issues, or good points about what you've used.

Also, if you know of any other manufacturers for roller rockers please speak up. I'd love to find someone who makes a set with adjustable push rod cups.

I had a set before I upgraded to stud mounted roller's and had no complaints. They are not a direct bolt on you may require new pushrods/shimming etc of the pedestals. It's kind of a shame that you have to cover them up with those rocker covers afterwards too!

I would defineatly not go through all the work to put them on if you are not taking the heads off anyways. I don't think that you will feel the difference in them alone but every little bit counts right?;)

Not to discredit anyone but BTM rockers are not Scorpion brand. Scorpion is a made in USA brand, I'm not sure what the source is for BTM's roller rockers but it isn't Scorpion.

If you want rockers with adjustable pushrod cups Harland Sharp makes them. I'm not sure who all sells them but I know RPM Mustangs does. However, at $370 it's just cheaper and easier to install longer pushrods and/or shims as necessary. Either way, you still inherit the responsibility of setting proper lifter preload which has shown to be a real problem for many SC owners.

Bottom line is like Eric said. Buy mods that make sense for what you are doing. Replacing parts just because you can isn't always going to be beneficial.

Current mods being done: ported and polished heads, new cam, springs, retainers, seals, etc. At the same point a little extra work on the blower, intercooler tubes, some wiring, and plumbing for a 30hp shot of n20.

I think the rockers fall into "fit this list of upgrades" category. I just wondering what the opinions of the rockers on the market are. Checking for pushrod length, lifter preload, rocker geometry, etc are no problem and I would do that anyways with even the stock arms with a new cam and pushrods.

only a 30 shot? probably won't even feel that. I hear these engines can take a 125 shot as long as you don't lean it out. If you tune it and work your way up you could probably safely run a 75-100 shot just make sure you unplug the octane plug before you spray the motor. It will reduce the timing a little and help out a lot.

ss_scuba said:
Current mods being done: ported and polished heads, new cam, springs, retainers, seals, etc. At the same point a little extra work on the blower, intercooler tubes, some wiring, and plumbing for a 30hp shot of n20.

I think the rockers fall into "fit this list of upgrades" category. I just wondering what the opinions of the rockers on the market are. Checking for pushrod length, lifter preload, rocker geometry, etc are no problem and I would do that anyways with even the stock arms with a new cam and pushrods.

I would just get standard roller rocker arms. IMO with the adjustable cups you are just adding one more weakness to an already inferior design (our rocker system in general, not the products). Plus it just isn't worth the extra $150. I have found that the 351C FRPP rockers have provided the best geometry and will work with a standard 7.2" pushrod. Others will work well also. I find that Scorpion rockers tend to want a longer pushrod for some reason.

I'm using SVO Ford Motorsport 1.73 roller rockers for a 351C. I ran these rockers for a few years on the other heads with no problems. I needed new pushrods due to my new set-up so I'm not sure of the fitament.

Rick

Scott Long said:
only a 30 shot? probably won't even feel that. I hear these engines can take a 125 shot as long as you don't lean it out. If you tune it and work your way up you could probably safely run a 75-100 shot just make sure you unplug the octane plug before you spray the motor. It will reduce the timing a little and help out a lot.

i disagree. a 30 shot on a boosted motor, which doesnt have the best intercooler to begin with, will still net greater hp at the tires most of the time and make a "seat of the pants" difference.

i remember when i put a wet kit on this kids 03 v6 mustang, i had it jetted for a 55 shot fairly rich (i like to run alot of bottle pressure).. it picked up just turning it on throwing more fuel into the motor. Picked up quite nicely on the 55 jets with ~~~~~~ bottle pressure (800-825psi)

Thanks guys. I'll be looking into the FRPP rockers.

As for the N20, I am tuning for it using a three position chip that will be tuned on a local dyno. It will have a valet mode, a tuned motor only mode, and one for N20. I'm using a NOS dry kit (05115), and will be injecting on the return tube a couple inches in front of the air temp sensor (I will plumb a second location behind the temp sensor just for goofing around with on the dyno). I'm going to use the N20 more to cool the intake charge than I will be for power...hence the 30hp shot.

Although I may go for a bigger shot later...

I also have the 351C roller rockers with longer pushrods and shims and have never had a problem with them over countless 1/4 mi races in the last 4 years. I bought them from Coy Miller 4 years ago.

ss_scuba said:
Who all have used roller rockers on their SC's? I'm looking at the Scorpion set from BTMotorsports right now, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to know about any problems, issues, or good points about what you've used.

Also, if you know of any other manufacturers for roller rockers please speak up. I'd love to find someone who makes a set with adjustable push rod cups.

I'm running 1.8 Harland Sharp roller rockers. Ended up with longer pushrods when I changed cams.

Had a valve spring break last year, but I'm convinced that was the result of problems unrelated to the roller rockers such as installing the cam sensor in at
0 TDC instead of where it's supposed to be - 26 degrees ATDC and running a couple thousand miles before realizing the mistake. Don't ever do that. It'll run, but it's intermittent Detonation City.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

With any brand or type of bolt down RR you will need to check lifter preload. That being said I used the BTM rockers without a hitch. I do believ ethay are 351 C rockers as well

I have the ford motor sport roller rockers for the 351 and I stayed with the stock rods and I had to have the pedistol mounts shave down 50 thou to get proper preload on my 89 xr7.Now I have my 94 almost ready to reassemble and I have those scorpion rollers and I dont know what the heck I'm in for now,probobly going to have to get them shaved aswell.

Last edited:
I’m in the process of installing some 1.73 Harland Sharp rockers and noticed that the pedestals do not fit correctly.

The base of the pedestal dose not have a bevel like the stock unit.

The worst one had a .025” gap from seating because of the bottoming out on the corners.

I’m not sure of any other brands but double check to be safe.

Stan W

Well, I'm pretty good with a file if need be. That and a buddy that owns a CNC mill and CNC lathe....it will all work out. Thanks guys.

you could do it another way

I have a guy who cuts down bb chevy studs then we use "Sharp" rockers. This works out great, as you can run stock size pushrods... Ther are a few of the "FAST" guys around here that have gotten a set of them from me and are "VERY" happy with the results................Rich

How much lift can you run on a new cam with 1.73 rockers?? i was thinking the extra lift you could put in the cam would make more than getting a smaller cam and 1.73s right??? or would it just be doing the exact same thing like pushrod length??

EDIT: i mean how much lift can you run before you smack a piston and a valve

Back