EEC TUNING Question

Ira R.

Well, the prodigal child came home for the weekend and brought her laptop, so I loaded the EEC software into it and now I want to go out and plug it in to the EEC cable that is in my glove box. Curious as hell to see what's what.

Now I'm confused though. The computer cable in the glove box ends in a female serial connection; the same as the one on the back of her laptop. Does this mean I have to go find a double male cable to make this conection?? I realize this may sound kind of obvious, but I want to make sure before I run out and do something stupid.

Anyone know what I'm looking at here?? Thanks!

Ira

dontown1yet said:
also, are you sure her laptop doesn't have a 9 pin male connector?

Nope. Dell Inspiron 6000 has lots of USB ports and a place for a network connection, and a male plug for a serial cable. Thats it.

Ira

irar said:
Nope. Dell Inspiron 6000 has lots of USB ports and a place for a network connection, and a male plug for a serial cable. Thats it.

Ira
That model does not have a serial port, you are likely trying to plug the serial cable into the monitor output.

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
That model does not have a serial port, you are likely trying to plug the serial cable into the monitor output.

Paul
Sounds like you will need to get a USB-to-serial port adapter. I have to use one at work since it's hard to find a new laptop computer with a serial port.

BT Motorsports said:

Paul
Yes, that actually makes more sense now that you point it out.

Ira

Kurt K said:
Sounds like you will need to get a USB-to-serial port adapter. I have to use one at work since it's hard to find a new laptop computer with a serial port.

I can do that, thanks. That sounds exactly like what I need. The more I think about it the more I realize it sounded like a really dumb question, but I just didn't want to take any chances.

Ira

irar said:
I can do that, thanks. That sounds exactly like what I need. The more I think about it the more I realize it sounded like a really dumb question, but I just didn't want to take any chances.

Ira
I don't want to recommend any brands (ok, I changed my mind at the bottom), but I will say I wish I could have spent a little more money (company $) and bought a better one. For me, if I'm commissioning a device through the adapter, it takes a lot longer than when I do the same actions on an older computer with an actual serial port.

Just something to think about.

If I were doing it again, I'd probably look at some of the controls electronic sources like B&B Electronics or Black Box. However, I will say, I do not have any experience with their USB-to-serial adapters.

Back