Cutting springs

Scott Long

I took these pics of my stock springs I have left over from when I put eibachs on my 92 about 3 years ago.

I am not sure which is the top and which is the bottom. I know the front are the taller ones and the rear are the short ones. I would think the top of the front is the flat coil, and the rears seem to be the same regardless of which way you put them in.

I was gonna cut 1.5 coils off the front and 1 off the rear to start and then cut more if its too high still. In the 4th picture I drew a line. If I cut the springs on the line, would that be considered one coil?

I just got a new air cut off tool and I'm anxious to lower the car.

Attachments

• springs 001.jpg
    springs 001.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 225
  • springs 002.jpg
    springs 002.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 218
  • springs 003.jpg
    springs 003.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 205
  • springs 04.JPG
    springs 04.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 261
Hey Scott. I'm pretty sure the flat part of the spring goes to the top. Either way, you want to cut off the other end. The red line on the spring would be considered one coil. At least that's how I measured them.

So by only taking that tiny bit off it makes a difference? I'd like to cut it down to the next coil from my line. I want the back to almost tuck tire. When I put on my cobra wheels I run 245/45/ZR17 tires that are a little shorter than the stock size tires I have on there now. So if I can get it to sit right at the top of them, when I put on the summer tires it should only leave me with a 1 finger gap.

Have you done the rear of your car yet Chris? I saw the pics of the front, but would like to see how it sits in the rear. What size tires are you using?

Scott Long said:
Have you done the rear of your car yet Chris? I saw the pics of the front, but would like to see how it sits in the rear. What size tires are you using?
Cutting a coil and a half off my springs lowered my car at least two inches. Maybe even a little more. I haven't cut the back yet. I'm running 255/45/17's.

Coil Cutting or NO to Coil Cut

Scott Long said:
wow, 2" I guess I'll start and go from there.
Scott, Always get information where you can.

BUT

you should balance the information againsst known coil cutting Performance!!!!

I had a thread on this about six months ago. I cut almost a coil off of the rear (only so far). I put it against the wall and measured down about 3/4 of an inch and cut there. That lowered the car about an inch. The ride did not change much but the handling of the car increased a great deal. You will be surprised how well it reacts. There are people who will tell you that the springs will go flat on you but I think they are incorrect. I have quite a few miles on it since then and it still feels pretty good.

Chris

Well I don't have $250 laying around right now to buy new springs with and I just so happen to have a spare set of stockers and a cut off wheel.... so.

When you say 3/4" did you measure from the bottom up, go across to where the coil meets the 3/4 height, and then cut where the coil is at about that height, or did you measure from the start of the coil and cut it 3/4 back?

From the top down. The full coil would be just over 3/4" uninstalled height. Do a search and you can see the pix of what I cut off. The car is about an in ch lower and drives really nice. I am still trying to cut the fronts. I think the problem with a lot of the spring cutters is that they are still running stock height shox. If you think about it, they need to be adjusted as well. That is why I have only lowered mine by an inch. I hope this helps.

Chirs

Why? Road racers have been doing it for years. They put their cars in the weeds and they have the same jounce and rebound as the stock height. They may go through them if they cut too much off, but I have not had a problem yet.

Chris

Jc Whitney Has Suspension Techniques Springs For $75/ Axle If Youre On A Budget.... Just Thought I'd Throw That Out There.

s/t's don't even lower that much. I've seen a car with s/t's and couldn't tell it was even lowered. Eibachs and H&R's do make a noticeable height difference.

i cut mine it sits on its arse so low i had to drill out holes on upper arm at wheel had tto enlarge hole to a slot and weld on a tab to used camber offset bolts to get a little more adjustment out of it but ill tell ya the strain on bushings is twice as bad when lowered and wheel chamber changes faster at lowered heights.

my sc rides like a tow truck but it looks cool as hell yes a scrape my exh on speed bumps and a soda can is a for sure bang but hey it looks cool as hell i tell ya

some picture at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2185028

Last edited:
Well... I went by the same measurements as I used on the rear springs. I do not think I will get the same effect as I have on the rear though. I cut just over a coil off of the fronts in an attempt to lower it. I THINK it may be level now, but it definately is not what I was looking for. I am going to try two full cuts on another set to see what I get later.

How did you do your set up Scott? Did it work for you? You have pix? I drove it afterwords with the new Konis on it. It handles just like the stockers with them set as soft as they go. When I got back, it looked a tad lower...but I will measure it later. I wanted to put the front end lower than the rear. Word to the wise, cut more off of the front than the rear. The rears are still handling like champs though.

Chris

P.S. Manny, where did you get your wheels polished?

I have cut springs on my 94 and an take a picture for you. I cut 1.5 coils off the front, and 1 full coil off the back and it sits about right for me to use as a daily driver, and rides and handles like a dream for 3+ years now. I have heard different results from other people using the same recipe, but it worked good for me. The springs were off an 89.

I would like to see some pix. Like I said...I would have liked it to be lower in the front just a tad...but I think it still may be higher. It was 70+* here yesterday...and it feels like 40ish today. Wont be getting back into the suspension if ya know what I mean. Good to shoot deer though:D . And just in time...

Chris

Back