Can you still get a complete lock cylinder set?

92bird

Does anyone know if you can get a complete lock cylinder set for our cars?

Since the attempted theft, both door lock cylinders and the ignition tumbler were damaged beyond use.

I've already replace the ignition tumbler, but would like to be able to buy a whole matching set.

Napa and Autozone said no can do..

Ford maybe?

Thanks,

Jeramie

From my experience, you can also get a complete set off of a used car, like if someone is parting one out. You can either use them as they are or you can then take them to a locksmith to have them re-keyed. Being that you are looking at several different locks, it would be less expensive to have them re-key your ignition to match the set you buy. If you have no luck with Ford, you may try that one out. Personally, I would rather get them from a parts car myself becuase Ford is likely to charge a small fortune for them. Last time I knew, locksmiths around here were charging about $70-75 to re-key your ignition to match the set. Actually, from your post it almost sounds like you know how to do it yourself--is that the case? If so, then just buy the lock set and key your ignition to match.

Good luck

Hmmm, good point. I'll have to try a locksmith. Especially since I am installing the 96-97 doorhandles. Ideally I would need a 96-97 lock set, since they are different from the 89-95 sets..

I replaced the tumbler with a new unit myself. I actually had to replace the whole steering column because the thieves chewed it all up trying to start the car.

The ignition tumbler was cheap, only about $18 from Autozone with keys.

Thanks for the advice.

Jeramie

I purchased a complete lock set for the 96/97 a few months back for my buddy's 90 SC, he already had the door handles. Only problem was the ignition cylinder didnt fit right without a modification. Cost somewhere between $80-100 .. I bought another set for a 95 Mustang after that and it was over $100

- Dan

Yep, I have a new style ignition tumbler in my SC.. The solution is using the inside of the new tumbler, and the outside of the old tumbler.. Sort of a "hybrid" setup.

That way you get to have the nice plastic coated key on your early model :)

I was able to use a stang tumbler setup with plastic coated key that I got off Ebay. It said it was for a 96 stang on the key tag. Im in the same boat needing new door and trunk cylinders, but I plan on getting them from a parts car. when I bought the car the only key that it came with was broken off in the ignition. I might find a locksmith who can make a key from two halves, but im not holding my breath, plus the keyless works great!

7birdslater said:
when I bought the car the only key that it came with was broken off in the ignition. I might find a locksmith who can make a key from two halves, but im not holding my breath, plus the keyless works great!

We just had this problem with a Camaro, the key is really narrow in the middle and it broke into two pieces!! .. so I bought a new Key blank from Chevy ( with the resistor chip, cost about $20 for the blank alone ) .. and we have a Key cutter here at work and was able to make a perfect copy using the two halves. It would have cost over $80 to have it made at the dealership. The Ford keys are much easier when they come with a new lock cylinder and everything.

- Dan

Back