Magnum Powers Stage IV Power Recipe

Scott Long

Expected HP:
420rwhp/500rwtq

Who's done this with an M90? I just don't see it happening. If Neibert made 419-421 at the rear wheels with an AR 1.7L and his engine is a solid longblock w/ forged rods and pistons, ported and welded big valve heads, cam, headers, etc.... So how is an M90 heat pump going to generate that kind of power? Maybe on Kevin's 10:1 block but thats not an average SC motor. How many of us have kicked up the compression when we rebuild our engines?

I want to know if its realistic or if thats a once case scenario and they are coming forward with the full truth. I mean is this just advertising at work here or what.

I'd like to see a dyno chart. Not calling BS, but I'd like to know if it was Kevin's car, and I'd like to see the HP and Torque curves from the dyno chart. How much boost, a/f ratio, etc... I guess I'm just skeptical.

Stage IV:

Exhaust:
Dual 3-inch exhaust pipes no cross over with 2 x 2 Chamber Flowmasters
Headers 2 5/8" by 26" long with 3-inch collector

Intake:
Same as Stage I

Intercooler:
Magnum Powers Front Mount Intercooler Kit

Engine:
Ported Heads

Forged 10:1 pistons
Cam: Intake Duration 214 / Exhaust 220 / lift .493" LSA 112
50 pound Fuel Injectors
Motorcraft Sparkplugs gapped at .028"
Magnum Powers 10% Overdrive Crank Pulley
5% Overdrive Supercharger Pulley
10% Jackshaft Pulley
Belt Tensioner Booster Springs on upper and lower belts

Chassis:
255LPH Fuel Pump

Expected HP:
420rwhp/500rwtq
It would take a bit more than all of that me thinks to get that kind of power. You'd get close, but I doubt 420whp.

It seems like VERY exagerated claims to me. But most all of MP's claims are just as exagerated. At least MOST of us realise this, but I know I would be pretty PO'ed if I was a newb and spent that kinda money on my car after reading those claims and got the results that I am quite certain I would get. Wonder how many have called up MP after buying all their stuff and not getting the claimed/advertised power gains? I am sure that MP's response would be "Oh, well that's too bad. Keep trying.":rolleyes:

that is pretty much my setup he uses, i hardly ever dyno, but in Oklahoma i dynoed at 363 . I ran the best that weekend of 11.63 at 117 mph, then we learned that I needed to overdrive the blower more than we were used to with the old designs, thats when i started running the 11.30 at 122.60 MPH. it may look like i only gained 3 tenths, but gaining almost 5 MPH is huge! Running that kind of MPH it should have run at least 11.0, but the traction was HORRIBLE! so that killed the ET.

My car never really does dyno all that impressive because i roll onto the dyno on my slicks at 10-15 PSI in them. I am sure that they are eating up horsepower on the dyno, plus i roll on right after taking it off the trailer, I don't go driving around to warm up the diff lube, tranny fluid. and that will eat HP also.

So what i am bascially saying here is that I believe I would make over 400 RWHP now if i put on radials at proper tire pressure and warmed up the drivetrain first.

People will say my results are not typical. I will agree to them to a point, just because no one else is really doing what i am doing. but i say it easily could be typical. I have no special parts on the engine, anybody could build the exact same engine.

XR7inWI said:
It seems like VERY exagerated claims to me. But most all of MP's claims are just as exagerated. At least MOST of us realise this, but I know I would be pretty PO'ed if I was a newb and spent that kinda money on my car after reading those claims and got the results that I am quite certain I would get. Wonder how many have called up MP after buying all their stuff and not getting the claimed/advertised power gains? I am sure that MP's response would be "Oh, well that's too bad. Keep trying.":rolleyes:

Every month in every car magazine they run engine builds with impressive numbers, they give you a recipe to build that exact engine. So that person decides he wants that. builds it, and it is not impressive. Is it the mags fault? did they exaggerate the results? not likely. more likely that the ignition system sucks, wrong plugs and gap, timing, could have a manifold leak, many many variables. Charles got his power packages from his own testing and from how my car performs. Dalke was there when my car went 11.305. so it is real! Is it Charles fault because people can't build the same engine as mine? NO! people continue to think my engine is something exotic, it is very tame and easily duplicated. everyone should know that it takes more than a srong engine to go fast.

Wow, 25% overdrive on the MP3. Jesus! I didnt know that a 10% overdrive crank pulley was available. IS coy the only one making that?

Like I was saying though, sure it could be done. But I just do not see it happening on a 3.8L stock compression motor. If it was done on higher compression then that should be listed.

Compression ratio is not the determining factor in Kevin's performance. The primary determining factor in Kevin's success is much like anyone else's success. He is working on it while the rest are dreaming about it.

I can work on a stock SC with all stock internals and I aint making anywhere near that HP...Better to say any one thing is not a determining factor

:O)

Well Kevin's car is light which really helps but the higher compression helps as well. If its gonna make more power naturally aspirated it will help even more when forced induction is added. He might not be able to advance the timing as much as one of us could on pump gas, but on race gas he'd have an advantage.

Weight matters a lot

Kevin car is light!

Its an LX body I have the same power maybe even more if I took the weight out of my car she's heavy 2950lbs. Boosting the blower overdrive helps and high compession is a big factor mine is high as well. Now he's going to a C4 thats even lighter plus less drag thats a smart way of going when wanting to run quick. When I ran the MP3 Proto we where at 15% overdrive the car slowed down and we only could get 17.5 on boost at the time. I did more porting on the IC and intake with my Dads home ported M-90 at 15% Cogged drive 19.5lbs of boost. What I am saying his motor is no stronger or better than mine but he's got the combo down right weight and power. I well will be going to MP3 with 30% overdrive with cogged setup a little later. Kevin is smart he's got his combo figured out right MP3 M-90 based blower is as good as the AR with right overdrive

Jim Demmitt Jr said:
Kevin car is light!

Its an LX body I have the same power maybe even more if I took the weight out of my car she's heavy 2950lbs. Boosting the blower overdrive helps and high compession is a big factor mine is high as well. Now he's going to a C4 thats even lighter plus less drag thats a smart way of going when wanting to run quick. When I ran the MP3 Proto we where at 15% overdrive the car slowed down and we only could get 17.5 on boost at the time. I did more porting on the IC and intake with my Dads home ported M-90 at 15% Cogged drive 19.5lbs of boost. What I am saying his motor is no stronger or better than mine but he's got the combo down right weight and power. I well will be going to MP3 with 30% overdrive with cogged setup a little later. Kevin is smart he's got his combo figured out right MP3 M-90 based blower is as good as the AR with right overdrive

Jim the LX body is no lighter than an SC, they are exactly the same, just the gingerbread makes them weigh more. At the shootout i weighed 3,480 pounds, that is not all that much lighter than a lot of peoples. this year i will be about 300 pounds lighter. the 122.60 MPH pretty much says it is making gobs of power, even tough the ET sucked for that kind of MPH. Sorry Jim i think i am making quite a bit more power than you. I ran a full 10 MPH faster than your 11.9 run. I don't think a few hundred pounds would make you run 10 mph better

Kevin Leitem said:
Jim the LX body is no lighter than an SC, they are exactly the same, just the gingerbread makes them weigh more. At the shootout i weighed 3,480 pounds, that is not all that much lighter than a lot of peoples. this year i will be about 300 pounds lighter. the 122.60 MPH pretty much says it is making gobs of power, even tough the ET sucked for that kind of MPH. Sorry Jim i think i am making quite a bit more power than you. I ran a full 10 MPH faster than your 11.9 run. I don't think a few hundred pounds would make you run 10 mph better

Think again Kevin!

I am making same or more power than you are I ran 11.911et at 113 mph with no front mount intercooler no tans brake a heaver car and my trans burned high gear clutches along with converter going away the MPH proved that. Your motor is no better than mine I think mine is making good power now if I did what you did all the mods what you think? Dont worrie once I get out and testing it will prove it and with new mods coming your not in the clear as far as Top SC Coy will just bounce back like always. This is by no means ment to be back talk but remember who built my engine my Father with 50+ years experiance and I think you know a few hunderd pounds makes a big differaince these guys are not that stupid now your going even lighter with C4

Last edited:
Jim Demmitt Jr said:
Think again Kevin!

I am making same power than you are I ran 11.911et at 113 mph with no front mount intercooler no tans brake a heaver car and my trans burned high gear clutches along with converter going away the MPH proved that. Your motor is no better than mine I think mine is making good power now if I did what you did all the mods what you think? Dont worrie once I get out and testing it and with new modes coming your not in the clear as far as Top SC. This is no means ment to be back talk but remember who built my engine my Father with 50+ years experiance and I think you know a few hunderd pound makes a big differaince these guys are not that stupid
i know weight makes a big difference, why do you think i am making it light? you make it sound like the lx is why i am lighter. The LX is no different!! what would be the difference if you got a totaled sc and rebuilt it with a lx donor? THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE OF THE LX!!! quit trying to find excusses on why people are faster than you!! This year i will be 300 lbs lighter, found out my valvesprings were junk, causing serious valve float about 5000 rpm, C4 tranny, and a bunch of other things, so you better quit complaining and get turning some wrenches or i will be way too far ahead of you to ever catch me!

:D oh damn we have a sc war here!!

im gonna put my sc on a diet. we dont need a war here but then again ?

i want to see the A/r's run imagine if someone like kevin ran one or coy I think with the A/R jim could do some serius damage to coys times.

Im a believer in the A/R it just has more to offer than the m90 but I know Jim is not done yet by a long shot his tranny did slip during his run so maybe a few tens are still there to tap.

I love this stuff few yrs ago we said nobody would ever get 11s out of the m90 I think high tens are a given but not any more the a/r will propell the sc beyond the m90's .

maybe a m112 will go farther but the a/r has a better chance of surpassing the m90 or m112 its just a plain and simply better design.

Back