Acumulator, how to?

Superloop

Hey guys~!

How do I replace the brake acumulator?
Is there any special way to do it, or just take it off and put the other one there?

Please help!
And where's the abs relay located at?

THANKS!

This is a 20 minute job.

Removal:
Take off the windshield wipers.
Take off at least the drivers side black plastic cowl cover, between the hood and windshield.
Go inside the car and with the Key OFF, step on the brake pedal about 40 times to release all the pressure inside the acccum.
Next, using a extension and a hex bit socket, loosen the accumulator and take it up and away from the car. You'll have to reach down to get it and wiggle it out, but it will come easily.

Installation:
Wipe the threaded accuml insertion area clean with a lint free cloth.
Make sure the new accumulator has the o-ring in place.
If so, install the accum. in place and tighten by hand. Final tighten with the socket. I'm sorry, but I don't know a torque spec. but I'd guess 20 to 25 ft-lb.
Replace the cowl covers and wipers.
Turn the key and you'll hear the motor recharging the accum.
That's it.

The prescribed technique is to depress the pedal at least 20 times with the key off to depressurize the accumulator. If the key is off, the pump can't run.. if the pump can't run, it can't pressurize the accumulator. Make sure you turn the key off and you won't have a spraying problem.

Whoa, I just noticed Mr. Bill's here.. Hey Bill.. how's it going? Not used to seeing you in the forums.

When I shut down my 90 SC, there's an air release coming
from somewhere. Is this the accumulator discharging? or
some relief valve from the supercharger? or does the
accum. get rid of a certain amount of pressure?

j.

Back