Rear brake nightmare! (long)

repoman27

Hey guys and gals,
First of all, I don't know if Im posting this in the correct forum. A few days ago I realized my rear brakes were grinding. I took them apart thinking everything would be as simple as changing the pads and turning the rotors only to find out how much I was mistaking. First of all the inner pad on the driver side was completely gone and it was to caliper itself that was digging into the rotor. I also noticed it looked like my studs were all bent. In trying to stragihten them out I broke 7. I bit the bullit and went to buy new calipers, rotors, pads, studs, and even the brake lines since I was already that deep into my wallet. Well isn't it great that the local parts store had to order almost everything. Considering this is my only transportation and I had to get back and forth to work I ended up renting a car awaiting the arrival of my parts. They came in yesterday and I picked them up on the way home last night. I sat up in the driveway putting everything together only to realize that my slide bolts on my left caliper bracket was seized. I tried heating it up and breaking it loose but ended up breaking it off all together. Now I need to find some good caliper brackets but no one around me has them. I went ahead and changed all the studs and put the rotors on. I decided to put my wheels back on until I can get the caliper brackets because I live in a city that is anal about non-operational cars. Thats when I discovered why the studs were bent. The wheels on my car are apparently Probe wheels and didn't quite fit. The previous owner forced the lugs on and bent them. Fortunately I had 3 wheels off a 94 LX that I could put on the car. Unfortunately the tires are about 40% and the 16's from my car wont fit. Now I need to either find some SC wheels within 150 miles or so from me for a descent price or buy another lx wheel for the time being ond get some 15 inch tires. So for now, Im stuck with a Chevy Crapalier that Im paying $178.00 a week for until I can get my bird up and running again. If anyone knows where I can get some caliper brackets, new or used, please let me know. My car is an 89 5spd if that makes a difference. Thanks to all.

Sorry I wasnt more specific. I would like to find someone within 150 miles of princeton, nc or possibly in the knoxville,tn area as my sister lives there and I go to see her about every 8-10 weeks. I found a salvage yard with a set of anny wheels for $350 with no tires and missing 2 center caps, plus one wheel has a little curbing. Although I think it may be a descent deal, Im really looking to try to get a set for no more than $200 if possible unless they already have good tires in which I would pay more according to the rubber. Thanks

Back