What Manual Rack Works?????

no164ford

I have finished my manual breaks, now I want to do the manual steering. I have been reading 500 old post about manual racks and I keep reading about this Mustang manual rack that just bolts up to are car with minor mods to the rag joint. My question is what year Mustangs do these come from? I keep reading and all I get is a headache:( . Mabe I am dumb so will some one take my hand and walk me trough this:) ?? I don't care about steering ratios

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin, I have found that all mustang manual racks from 79-93 are the same 20:1 ratio 4 turn lock to lock when stock. I found a flameing river manual rack on ebay for around 200.00 shipped I think I will get. Now what all do you have to do with it to fit it in the car? From what I understand The rack will bolt right up to my car and my tire rod ends on the sc will work? And what will I have to do to the rag joint? I just installed my Mark VIII rear swing arms and I wanted to get this rack done before I take my car up for a 4 wheel alignment.

no164ford said:
Thanks Kevin, I have found that all mustang manual racks from 79-93 are the same 20:1 ratio 4 turn lock to lock when stock. I found a flameing river manual rack on ebay for around 200.00 shipped I think I will get. Now what all do you have to do with it to fit it in the car? From what I understand The rack will bolt right up to my car and my tire rod ends on the sc will work? And what will I have to do to the rag joint? I just installed my Mark VIII rear swing arms and I wanted to get this rack done before I take my car up for a 4 wheel alignment.
the rack was too short to use the factory tie rod ends, i had to get tie rod ends from a 72 or so charger, all the mopars used the same end. then i had to make a connecting sleeve from the tie rod to the end. mine is about 8 inches long and had to be tapped to the thread size and pitch. and you will also need a universal joint from flaming river that has the same spline as the rack and will connect to the steering shaft. let me find the part numbers and it will make it easier

the steering u-joint is FLA-fr1709DD through Summit racing. the tie rod ends i have no clue, just early to mid 70's mopar. the connecting sleeves you can use 1" round stock and have them machine to i think it is 9/16-18. i know it is 9/16 but i am not positive on the thread pitch. and you will need 2 extra jamb nuts, two will come with the tie rod ends. then i used a stainless flexable radiator hose

Thanks I bought a 90 mustang manual rack from autozone and I will pick it up tomarrow. At auto zone there racks for the early 80's car was a diffrent part number then the later stangs (89-93) I will have to get it and get it up under my car and take a good look at what needs to be done and then I will be on the same page as you.

Not to bad, it could of been mail order and my SC would be setting 6 more weeks instead of a few days.

Did you get your car on the road yet this year? How is Brandon makeing out with his? I havent talked to him in a while.

no164ford said:
Did you get your car on the road yet this year? How is Brandon makeing out with his? I havent talked to him in a while.

not yet i may be ready to fir this weekend and possible to be on the steet in 2, as of brandon he has been slacking. he is more interested in his new love....BEER.. lol

Kevin Leitem said:
not yet i may be ready to fir this weekend and possible to be on the steet in 2, as of brandon he has been slacking. he is more interested in his new love....BEER.. lol

I like Beer to!! With the rack I am trying a whole diffrent set up. I got to looking under my wifes 01 Mustang and the rack set up is the same as a SC. So I called a guy that deals in Flameing River racks and he mesured one up for me, It has the same length, same threads, and same mounting holes. I am going to use this with a modified rag joint will let you know how it works out. If all works well I will post a How To with the part #'s.

Good luck with your car this year let's see some 10's:). I am just hopeing to dig well into the 13's for this year.

no164ford said:
I like Beer to!! With the rack I am trying a whole diffrent set up. I got to looking under my wifes 01 Mustang and the rack set up is the same as a SC. So I called a guy that deals in Flameing River racks and he mesured one up for me, It has the same length, same threads, and same mounting holes. I am going to use this with a modified rag joint will let you know how it works out. If all works well I will post a How To with the part #'s.

Good luck with your car this year let's see some 10's:). I am just hopeing to dig well into the 13's for this year.

thats awesome that the new mustang ones work, When i talked to flaming river the 79-93 is all that they told me would work, but that the tie rods needed to be longer. that would have saved me a big hassle. good work!! and good luck!

No I never tried to call him, I just kinda stumbled into this rack while I was working on my wifes 2001 Mustang.

Back