Gear ration and rear clip question

mega_man_01103

I meant gear RATIO

HEy everybody;

Ive been parting out my T-bird lately and someone asked me to confrim my gear ratio and if its the one he needs, he would like the entire rear clip including the rear brakes.

BAsically how can i confrim what type of ratio I have and how to remove the rear clip. Thankx

Raul

PS. i you have pics, that would be great but i can follow directions pretty well if not.

Last edited:
Put the trans in neutral make sure the tires are off the ground. Turn a tire two revolutions and count the number of turns of the driveshaft. This will give you your the gear ratio. You should get 2.73 turns for a 2.73:1 and 3.27 turns for a 3.27:1. If it is/was a 5 speed car chances are good that it is a 2.73 and if it is an automatic then it is a 3.27 unless in either case the rear gears were swapped out.

You can unbolt the rear sub frame from the car. I don't have any pics though.

Kevin Varnes said:
Put the trans in neutral make sure the tires are off the ground. Turn a tire two revolutions and count the number of turns of the driveshaft. This will give you your the gear ratio. You should get 2.73 turns for a 2.73:1 and 3.27 turns for a 3.27:1.
Maybe it's too early (I haven't had any caffeine yet), but if you rotate a tire 2 revolutions, should you need to count 5.48 turns to equal 2.73:1?

Yeah you're right. Thanks for the correction. Not sure what I was thinking on that :eek: It's been a while since I've had to do it.

You know, sometimes the rear differential has a little metal tag on it, that has the rear end ratio stamped on it. Or you could check the code on the sticker inside of the driver's side door, it will be under AX .. considering its the original differential.

Dropping the rear subframe is fun. That thing can be heavy. You'll need to remove the E-brake cable by disengaging the clip at the rear end - I forget the exact procedure but its not too hard, I use a flathead on the clip and some needle nose plyers to get the cable end piece out of the retainer. After that, all you need to do is remove the driveshaft and the 4 main mounting bolts to the body plus the two brackets on the front bolts. And the two wires if you have ABS.

Have fun.

- Dan

Last edited:
Back