Check Engine light, no symptoms

Sam Woodson

The Check engine light has come on 3 times now in the last week.

Temps here have been in the mid to upper 80's and I was running the AC each time.

This also started the day after I washed the engine, however I had not been using the AC very often before this.

1st time, I was driving normally around town, about 25-45 Mph, I did kind of hit a bump/pot hole just before it went off. Went into a building for 5 minutes, came out the light didn't come back on.

2nd time the light came On just as I parked in my garage at home. I had been driving normally, 55 - 60 Mph. This was Thursday. Checked for any loose connectors in the engine compartment, found nothing.

3rd time (today) I was driving on the Hwy, was going 80 to 85 Mph. I noticed the Temp gauge was just over the 1/2 way point. I slowed down to 75-80 Mph, then the Temps went down to below 1/2 way. (about 1/4 seems to be normal) I got off the highway, sat at a light, drove about 1 mile, then the Check Engine Light came on. The Temp gauge showed less than 1/2. I drove about 2 miles (35-45 Mph) to the gas station. Pulled in, popped the hood, shut off the engine. No signs of a water leak, no noises (water bubbling, etc) Turned the Key to RUN, the Electric radiator Fan and the intercooler Fan came on. Waited a minute, started the car, drove about 6 or more miles home (55-60Mph) no problems.

Any ideas? I am very nervous about this, as my last Tbird SC had the temp gauge get Hot, but not into the Red, I slowed down, the temps went down. Then about 2 miles down the road it died. Overheated, all the water dumped out, so the temp gauge cooled off since it wasn't in water anymore!

We planned on taking it to Savannah GA (about 8 hrs away) this Wednesday, but I am very nervous about it now. At some point a Previous Owner replaced put in White Face gauges, so there is the possibility the needle wasn't put back on in the right position.

It had been fine and I thought maybe something just got wet and dried out, I drove it Friday day/night and some Saturday, no problems. I don't think I had the AC on then though. Not Friday night for sure.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Yes, I have checked the coolant level. No idea how to run the codes, I called Advance Auto, they said they didn't sell one for anything this old.

I went ahead and took it to the Ford dealer, fingers crossed!

If you run into problems on the way to Sav and if your route takes you through columbia,S.C. I can scan it or help you if you need it. Not sure if you going down through Atlanta to Macon across 16 or Atlanta to Columbia then down. If its the later then feel free to call and I will help as much as I can. I will pm you my # if you need it. Ive got a snap-on mt2500 scanner here if its needed to check you out.

S

The plan was/is to go down 65 to Bham, then over to Atlanta, and then to I-16 I believe.

We may have to take the Durango, hopefully this is just a sensor or something minor.

Thanks for the offer!

Seems to me like a loose connection on a sensor or a dirty sensor. I know mine has come on and went off seconds later for no reason. Have you checked the visable connections and such...checked your MAF to make sure its clean?

Personally when it happens to me and the car still runs like nothing is wrong I just keep cruising. I mean you have to know your car...

-Tim

Yes, after washing it and the light coming on the first 2 times, I checked the wire connectors in the engine compartment. It's weird, it only seems to come on if the AC is on. The engine light did not go off on it's own, I shut the car off about 2 minutes, then started again, and the light stayed off.

I haven't had this Tbird long, and can't be sure of things yet, such as if the Temp gauge is calibrated properly, etc. Along with the blown engine on my last Tbird SC due to overheating, even though the temp gauge never went into the Red, I am "nervous" at this point.

I'll post what Woody Anderson FORD has to say tomorrow.

Thanks,

I had this problem once in a 94 and it turned out to be a cam sensor that did not throw any codes but it did have a little stumble at lights when the CEL light came on.

Sam Woodson said:
Yes, after washing it and the light coming on the first 2 times, I checked the wire connectors in the engine compartment. It's weird, it only seems to come on if the AC is on. The engine light did not go off on it's own, I shut the car off about 2 minutes, then started again, and the light stayed off.

I haven't had this Tbird long, and can't be sure of things yet, such as if the Temp gauge is calibrated properly, etc. Along with the blown engine on my last Tbird SC due to overheating, even though the temp gauge never went into the Red, I am "nervous" at this point.

I'll post what Woody Anderson FORD has to say tomorrow.

Thanks,

Did you wash the engine? I know when I've washed mine, I've had to use a can of air on some of the connections for they get damp and confused. Usually my brake light comes on when I wash my bay and then I have to pull the plug on the sensor clean it up and then I'm good to go.

If you think its heat related check the coolant temp sensor, and the sensors on the t-stat housing. I know the CTS with throw a code..not sure about the others.

-Tim

The Ford dealer said with all the Mods they are getting to many errors to be able to pinpoint anything, but it doesn't seem to be running hot or causing any problems.

They mentioned the Air/Fuel was off and the Throttle Position Sensor was sending an error. They don't have a TPS in stock to try to swap it out.

So, I'm just picking it up.

Anywhere near Huntsville AL that can work on this Modded SC? I probably need to get it chipped to.

The Check Engine light stays on in both my 35ths and my mechanic hasnt found anything wrong. I drove one of them for 6 years with the light on.

Unless I see some other sign that something is wrong I dont worry about it..

Drove almost 9 hrs to Savanna GA today. It was in the upper 80's or low 90's. The light came on a few times early in the day, I could keep driving, shut the ignition off (while coasting) then restart the car and the light would not come back on for awhile.

Later in the day we came inbehind a rainstorm, it had cooled things down. The light never came on again.

My temp gauge is replaced with the white face gauge. It says COOLANT instead of NORM.

When it was Hot it was running between the L A or the A N, once the outside temps went down,the gauge stayed at the C O area. L is about 12 Noon on a clock.

Seems like the light only comes On when it is hot and the AC is on. Yet, sometimes when the car would be at the N, it wouldnt be ON, but would when on the L. I would have the cruise On, just driving along, not even going up an hill and the light would just come On.

Check for codes. That will at least tell you something. Just because the problem isn't obvious doesn't mean nothing is wrong. I have a bad o2 sensor and the computer throws a code for it every now and then even though the car appears to be running fine.

Last edited:
Sam,
With all the mods on the SC, I would get a chip and a good tune done on it. I would bet it’s running a little lean. Not sure if that’s why the light keeps coming on. If you could get X7Dave to burn you a chip and then get him to tune it sometime you would find a big difference. He did a great job on doing mine via e-mail and only had to do a minor adjustment on the dyno. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back