valve train questions

Cooterthief

I am having a heck of a time finding where to buy a cam for my SC. I have heard of somebody regrinding them but I dont know who, and I have heard that one of the big aftermarket companies are making them too, but I cant figure out which.

Also, I am using a set of 1.73 crane cams roller rockers I got from a 93 cobra. I had the rocker pedistals machined flat so that I could use the crane chairs. The height is the same. Does anyone know what length of push rods I should use. There is a dude in canadia using some sort of stock olds push rods in his (he did the same thing) but I cant seem to get in touch with him.

I got a comp cams 273HR112 recently, but have yet to start the engine to see how it runs....should be a little rank.

Cooterthief said:
I am having a heck of a time finding where to buy a cam for my SC. I have heard of somebody regrinding them but I dont know who, and I have heard that one of the big aftermarket companies are making them too, but I cant figure out which.

Also, I am using a set of 1.73 crane cams roller rockers I got from a 93 cobra. I had the rocker pedistals machined flat so that I could use the crane chairs. The height is the same. Does anyone know what length of push rods I should use. There is a dude in canadia using some sort of stock olds push rods in his (he did the same thing) but I cant seem to get in touch with him.[/QUOTE

Call Victor at Spinning Wheels. He has large selection of cams from mild to wild

I appreciate the cam help, does anybody have a clue about the pushrods, or can someone tell me how to measure them for length.

kenewagner said:
Call Victor at Spinning Wheels. He has large selection of cams from mild to wild

This is the second or third thread I've seen you advertise for Victor in tonight. Are you Victor's new billboard?

NEW vs. Reground

Cooterthief said:
I appreciate the cam help, does anybody have a clue about the pushrods, or can someone tell me how to measure them for length.
With a NEW cam, you should be able to use OEM pushrods, UNLESS the ramp speed of the cam is fast enough to require STRONGER original length push rods.

Reground cam = new Longer pushrods.

As far as measureing the required pushrod length of a reground cam, Don't you simply add the amount of reduction in the base circle of the cam, to the length of the original push rods?

68COUGAR

I did the same thing with mine I ground the rocker seats down and added ARP studs and I too am using the crane 1.73 with a reground camshaft I had to go with a comp cams 7.4 push rods. Everything lined up perfect and the wear pattern on the valve tips are great so that should get you in the right ballpark unless you get a new camshaft which would require you to get a different length. Also DO NOT forget to get a set of guide plates!! You can do what i did and make a custom set using the ARP chevy style or the better way to go is get a set made for the 3.8 from morana.

Pablo94SC said:
This is the second or third thread I've seen you advertise for Victor in tonight. Are you Victor's new billboard?

If I was does that bother you. I have said many times on these forums that members should use the local venders, They go through a lot to bring the SC performace parts and they are also members of this club but I continue to see everyone advise people to go to the large companies that dont care about our small community. I have worked a lot with Victor and have a lot of respect for him so I tend to recommend him

Ken

Anytime you change components in the valve train, your lifter preload has to be checked. If the cam's base-circle is a different diameter than the stock cam, then you will need longer/shorter push rods. A new cam doesn't guarantee the dimension of the base-circle will be the same as the stock cam. On a cam regrind, the base-circle is changed therefore, you would need longer push rods. Plus along with the different cam you are changing the rocker arm assembles. Do yourself a huge favor and check the lifter preload. You will have to play with longer/ shorter push rods. But first start with the stock length and adjust the length from there.

Use the SCCoA search feature to gather more information on push rod length and setting the lifter preload.

Good luck

Bryan

Let There Be Light

SuperChicken89 said:
A new cam doesn't guarantee the dimension of the base-circle will be the same as the stock cam. Bryan
"and Bryan said, Let There Be Light". I never thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right!!!!!

68COUGAR

I wish I could take all of the credit for that statement but truth be known David Dalke is the one who brought this to my attention some time ago. Never assume... always measure and verify.

Bryan

I appreciate all of the help, but Im afraid you guys are preaching brain surgery to a blacksmith.

I dont know what a base circle is and I dont know what lifter preload is. But Im not sure if this is where my problem lies. ( I still would like an explanation of both).

My problem is trying to figure out if leveling the top of the pedestals will effect the length of the pushrod.

And what are guide plates and why do I need them?

I dont know what a base circle is
Let me see if I can explain this..... The cam for a V6 has 12 lobes, 1 intake/1 exhaust valve lobe per cylinder. The lobe is what opens the valve as the cam rotates. The back side of the lobe (the side of the lobe when the valve is closed), sometimes refered to as the heal would be the dimension of the base circle for each intake/exhaust valve. When a cam is reground they reduce the base circle to gain more lift. If you reduce the diameter of the base circle, then longer push rods are necessary to open/close the valve properly.

I dont know what lifter preload is
Lifter preload is the tension placed on the lifter when the valve is closed. This is a specific value to insure proper opening and closing of the valve.

When I installed my new Comp Cam and Roller Rockers, I had to install the Small Block Chevy push rods and machine down the pedistals in order to correctly set the lifter preload.

Use the search fuction here and you will find a lot of information regarding cams, push rod lengths, and just how to set lifter preload.

Hope this helps some:)

Bryan

Cooterthief said:
I appreciate all of the help, but Im afraid you guys are preaching brain surgery to a blacksmith.

I dont know what a base circle is and I dont know what lifter preload is. But Im not sure if this is where my problem lies. ( I still would like an explanation of both).

My problem is trying to figure out if leveling the top of the pedestals will effect the length of the pushrod.

And what are guide plates and why do I need them?

From what you have described I can tell you a couple things.

1) Check your rocker arm to valve tip contact! This is very important. Many people overlook the facts of how the geometry affects performance and installation.

There is a big difference between any rocker arm made for a SBF (5.0,302,351W) and the 3.8L motor. The rocker that works for the 3.8L is the 351C/460 style rocker. Do not make the mistake of using a rocker made for a 5.0. The 93 Cobra was a 5.0 motor. These rockers are wrong.

Rockers (regardless of ratio) made for the 5.0/5.8 motors will not reach the center of the valve tip no matter how you set them. The reach is too short. You will be only barely touching the valve tip and you will ruin your guides as well as other possible problems if you use those rockers. Just because someone said they used them doesn't make it right.

On the other hand, if they are 351C rockers then that will be ok. Just wanted to clear up that little issue.

2) I'm not sure I understand what you mean saying you machined the pedestals flat. Do you mean the mounting bosses on the head or you machined the pedestals in some way? The pedestals are the "lugs" through which the bolt passes and which the rocker arm fulcrum rests on. Machining those flat would accomplish nothing good so I'm still not sure what you did.

Or did you install screw-in studs? If you installed studs of any kind then you will need to use guideplates. Guideplates are locaters for the pushrods. If/when you remove the locating bosses on the heads then there is nothing left to align the rocker arms and pushrods. Guideplates positively locate the pushrods so that the rocker arm stays in proper alignment with the valve. No one makes guideplates for these cars, you have to make your own. Some of us can do that for you if you need. I just don't follow what you did when you say you machined the pedestals flat.

3) I think it would be presumptuous for anyone to tell you what length pushrods you should use without knowing a little better what you have. When people use bolt on 351C rocker arms (no machining required) most times 7.2" pushrods solve any pre-load issues.

4) Regardless of what rocker arm setup you are using, the final decision on pushrod length is going to be up to the installer. There are many variables that can affect ultimate pushrod length. Unless you use bolt on parts you are going to have to determine the best pushrod length by doing a mock up with the new cam installed. This is how any competent engine shop would do it.

5) Regarding cam selection, you can buy a cam from any number of places but there are few places where you can get good technical information and installation assistance to go along with that purchase. When in doubt ask questions.

6) You will have to set preload on the lifters. You will have to learn what this is and how to set it or you will have to take the car to someone who does. Take a few minutes and peruse www.cranecams.com. They have a good number of articles with pictures showing basic valvetrain setup procedures and guidelines. They are an invalueable resource.

:)

Back