slave cylinder

nascar john

on a previous post i got replies from martian bob regarding a new slave cylinder. the last reply asked to check the travel of the cylinder. how much travel do i look for? at what travel point do i need a shim? what amount of travel is acceptable? i have read your post of april 03 and am still not sure. by the way my clutch release point is about 1/2 of pedal travel.
thanks
john

da shim

Hey John,

I think a functioning slave will push the throw out bearing about 3/4". If your clutch is releasing about half way then you don't need one; half way is perfect in my book.
A shim is comes in handy when you press the clutch all the way to the floor and it just ain't far enough. It gives the slave a little head start.
Reasons for needing a shim inlcude: a flywheel that has been cut, a clutch disc that is thicker than ford specifications, an aftermarket flywheel that is thinner than for specifications.
Sounds like you're in good shape though.

Cheers
Bob

heres what I got

hmm, makes me wonder if I will need to shim mine. I just bought a new slave cylinder, spec lightened flywheel and spec stage 2 clutch from supercoupeperformance.com. Anybody know for sure on these particular parts?

MartianBob said:
Hey John,

I think a functioning slave will push the throw out bearing about 3/4". If your clutch is releasing about half way then you don't need one; half way is perfect in my book.
A shim is comes in handy when you press the clutch all the way to the floor and it just ain't far enough. It gives the slave a little head start.
Reasons for needing a shim inlcude: a flywheel that has been cut, a clutch disc that is thicker than ford specifications, an aftermarket flywheel that is thinner than for specifications.
Sounds like you're in good shape though.

Cheers
Bob
thanks you much, will check out travel

Back