Dragging Clutch?

91BLOWNSC

I just got my 95 back from a recent tranny rebuild that we did ourselves. We put all new syncros in it including a 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th slider ring (not sure of the name). I bought a brand new stock replacment LUK clutch which included a new pilot bearing and throw-out bearing. I bled the clutch but only once mind you. I got inside and pumped it quiet a few times and air came pouring out. When it started leaking I shut it, did it again probably 5-6 times but anytime after the first, no air came out even though I have looked up posts that people had to do it 20 times. Well it seems that when I try and put it in gear from a stop you can almost feel that the gears inside the transmission are almost spinning and it kinda clunks just slightly. I haven't driven the car yet, as I do not want to blow out the new syncros. The flywheel was not resuraced we only slightly sanded it down so I know its still in spec. And when you push the pedal in to disengage the clutch it must be all the way to the floor. If you release it even an inch, the car will jump forward. There is almost no play room down there before it engages and its kinda ruthless. This makes me think theres more air in there, but I just couldn't get any to come out. Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what this could be?

Thanks, Mark.

My expierence

When i got a new clutch installed from the shop it took me a while to relearn the clutch pedal travel zone where there was little rubbing area. After a bunch or small tire chirps and stalls the clutch wore in some and has been great ever since, then the car died of other reasons. As i look back i wish i had used that realy sharp clutch a bit more for when i WANTED to make some noise or make it look as if i had lots more power, still chirps up to 4th gear but its hard to to that now.

It toook me forever to bleed my clutch. I'd do it again if I were you and take off the little rubber cover for the access hole and see how much the slave cylinder moves when you push on the pedal.

CaifanSC said:
It toook me forever to bleed my clutch. I'd do it again if I were you and take off the little rubber cover for the access hole and see how much the slave cylinder moves when you push on the pedal.

Did it seem like any air was coming out when you did yours though? And do I necessarily have to pump the clutch and then open the bleeder? Could I just open the bleeder and let it just keep running out while I fill up the resevoir?

Thanks..

when i did mine i couldnt really see any bubbles but the clutch just didnt feel right. My brother kept pumping while the valve was closed and hold the pedal down....then i'd open it up and re-try. Im telling you, i read several threads that say it takes like 20 times to do...it took me way more than 20. I guess you just gotta be patient and dont let the reservoir go empty.

Back