Gas???

r_wirth25

HI everyone ,
I once read that you arent able to put ne thing but premeium gas in my supercoupe. Is that true, i am going to keep doing it but , i was just wondering if that was true or not, i also read that it can make the headgasket blow on the car if you put unleaded in it.. Thanks..
:confused:

r_wirth25 said:
HI everyone ,
I once read that you arent able to put ne thing but premeium gas in my supercoupe. Is that true, i am going to keep doing it but , i was just wondering if that was true or not, i also read that it can make the headgasket blow on the car if you put unleaded in it.. Thanks..
:confused:

first off i hope all gas your utting in it is unleaded.

I have tried 89, and 91. personally my car runs like ~~~~~ on anything less than 89, 89 is like kinda crappy aaaactually, aand 91 is fine, normal. great acceleration, smooth burning.

might be a stretch, blowing a headgasket with regular unleaded( i will assume this is what you ment by unleaded) but it might. i havent blown a HG and only put in premium, and super unleaded.

might happen because regular unleaded burns faster, and hotter?

Do not put anything less then 91 octane in your car. The higher the octane, the more stable (less prone to combustions) the fuel is. In a supercharged or turbocharged engine, with lower octane (less stable, more prone to combustion) putting in lower octane fuel means you run the risk of detonation. This basically means you have ignition of the air/fuel mix in the combustion chamber while the valves and piston are not in the correct position for the combustion. This can cause very very serious problems, not necessarily all at once, but over time.

I can see how someone would want to use regular unleaded.

Since its $3/gal for premium here, i tried putting in some regular (87 octane) a few weeks ago. It ran like hell. I also had trouble starting it.
So now all i use is premium (93 octane) and i havent had any trouble.

The owners manual said it can be run on regular 'if necessary', but i dont think i'll do it again.

If you want to burn regular gas (below 91 octane), pull the octane spout to retard ignition timing or rig the bypass valve to stay in the open position, which prevents the supercharger from making any boost.

David

Ive never ran ne thing less the premium OR as you may call ,, 93 ..
But i was just wondering what the affects would be, im not planning on doing the cheap route , it would only save about 5 bucks a fill any way, but manly just heard sombody say that its very bad for it , so i was just wondering.. thanks for you help. if anybody else has some info let me know,

Running low octane fuel with stock ignition timing and boost will cause pinging or detionation...which is very hard on the motor and cause serious damage. In the summer when the motor and intake air charge is hotter, it will be worse.

David

93 and 94 octane only for me. I don't put on enough miles for 20 to 30 cents per gallon to make a difference in my budget. I have had my SC for 4 years and I have only put on 10,500 miles.

You will blow HGs eventually, just don't make it happen sooner by burning cheap gas. It's only about $4 more to fill up with the highest octane compared to 87 octane.

Back