Odd Problem- Starting

Billabong089

Hey,
I took the lower intake and everything on top of that off. I replaced the gaskets, etc and also the FPR. I currently have the brake master cylinder out, waiting for an abs pressure switch.

But since I had it all apart and what not, I wanted to see If I could get it to start up so I hooked everything up, and it cranks but it wont start.

I don't think the fuel pump is priming, and this is strange AS HELL, I turn the key to run, I hear a click from the back of the car, I turn the key to off and I hear something prime, I dont know what it could be.

But either way, the car wont start and i'm puzzeled, I put a fuel pressure guage on the rail and it does have pressure for a short time.

Perhaps I have something disconnected that shouldnt be, It should run without the ABS/brake wires hooked up correct? Also I noticed when the car is in the RUN position, I dont see the check engine light on, just check guages and the ABS light.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE some ideas ;)

Did you hook the FPR vacuum hose back up? Maybe your new FPR isn't seating correctly or is bad? Oh and make sure you have the ground hooked up for the O2 sensor, it sits on the back of the head. Not sure about the ABS connectors but I wouldn't be surprised if they've got something to do with it.

Last edited:
doubt it, its an adjustable, its a real nice one, actually, I jumpered the fuel pump and it was 44lb on the rail and held for a couple of mins before it started to lower down.

I have no clue, but heres what I noticed when I put the key to run, there is NO upshift arrow or check engine light... perhaps something with the ECC? I'm very confident all wires are hooked up, in the engine compartment. the only wires not hooked up are the wires that go with the abs and brakes, the unit is out of the car, I pulled the ABS motor fuse 40amp.

The EEC is new but um, it worked fine before I did anything.. very odd.

But my guess is that the fuel pump is not priming could this be the ignition switch ? I cant think of anything else. The pump is new so its hard to hear, but I heard it when I jumped it. help me start my CAR!!

I dont want to sound annoying but I can not figure this problem out and I'm afraid the car will have to be put down forever hahah.. its in such a nice condition...

The car wont start and the fuel pump primes in the opposite direction , I JUST replaced the ignition switch, im so clueless right now :( PLEASE anyone please help

Last edited:
I would hook your abs unit back up and see if that changes anything, I wouldn't think it could keep it from starting but who knows. I've heard that people have had a lot of trouble with adjustable FPRs. Worst case scenario (before you junk it) put it back the way it was before you pulled it apart, see if it starts, if it does then carefully go back in and modify it right.

Best of luck to ya!

I appreciate you answering me since your the only one, I just dont understand what could make it not start, I mean the fuel pump primes when you turn the key to the off position... that is like crazy

This could be a real lonnnng shot, but you mentioned that you replace the ignition switch and now it seems to prime the FPR when in the OFF position.

If memory serves, when you install the ignition switch, the key has to be "off position" and the ignition switch has to be set to a certain position (detent) before hooking the linkage and the switch together. If the positioning is off, this might be the cause. I would imagine though that other things "wouldn't be right" like headlights or other "run position" electrical stuff.

I solved this issue, the ground from the battery for the EEC was not hooked up, its that blackwire thats grounded on the car right by the neg cable.

Ill have to say i'm slight disapointed on the responses

Last edited:
You think it has to do with membership?

I doubt that the lack of diagnosis has anything to do with membership status. I know I never pay any attention to that. It probably has more to do with people not wanting to make recommendations unless they had a pretty good idea what caused the problem. Electrical issues are tough to pinpoint. I know it's difficult to provide all the information about what led up to the problem and the symptoms that resulted, but it is even more difficult to give an accurate diagnosis without being able to see, hear, and touch the car. In the end, the best any of us can hope for is that someone will recognize the symptom (from past experience or research) and make a suggestion. Many times it just comes down to your ability to figure it out by yourself (which you seemed to have done, congratulations!!!). I would encourage you to "officially" join the club, but I don't think it will have any impact on the BBS responses.

Glad to see you got it worked out!!!

Don't be discouraged about the results you got, I've got a post up right know about my slave cylinder and I haven't gotten a bite and I'm a member.

Many people probably choose who they want to answer and who they think can go screw themselves. Most people I've met on here are very willing to help, more than likely they just didn't see the post since there are so many. I always look for the posts that don't get any replies and try to help the best I can.

Oh, and you didn't mention anything about being down by that ground wire, who would have known!? I thought you had only removed the necessary items to get to the FPR and ABS unit.

Cheers

Yea, I didnt have any idea what that wire did, I always saw it there grounded on the body by the battery but it didnt strike me until i thought about it today in school lol.

I snapped the bolt off by accident playing with a torque wrench and didnt reattach it as I thought it was somethng with the ABS, but then I realized my 93LX has it too... simple and easy mistake just glad I found it before I ripped it apart again haha.

Thanks guys :) :)

Also I don't want to this to become any kind of problem with my comments, thats just how I felt at the time, you know how stressful it can be and ESPECIAlly after your spending $$$ and you cant get the damn thing to start.. haha... anyway thanks again.

Last edited:
Billabong089 said:
Just want to put this on the top in hopes of someone giving me an idea

Heres 3
1. Don't become a member (we here try to help each other weather a member or not)
2. Sell the car
3. Spend more time describing the problem (or remembering what you did to the car) than berating people that try to help you.

Sorry, just how i felt at the time tooooooooooooooo

next time, don't post it on MY thread post it on your own. Not to mention I did not put anybody down that tried to help me, and I'm pretty sure I thanked those members like three times anyway, oh wait, through further investigation ( I.E. lookin at the top of the thread, I DID thank those who posted a reply ).

I'll just reiteriate, please do not post a response, this thread is as good as closed. I hope if anyone has my problem, that my solution will be an asset to those who need it, which is why I posted my fix. And just to make one final comment, I have 981 posts, I have helped members who have needed it and in which I had knowledge to do so. Thank-you.

Last edited:
Back