JBL Radio

EDHUNT14

I have the original JBL sound system in my '90. I want to add the factory cd changer. Does it just plug in to my factory radio or do I need any adapters or will it just not work? I have been told several things, and of course the dealer was no help at all.
Thanks,
Ed

Hmm. It was optional so you would think the harness is there. But I don't think I saw it when I was doing my cup holder mod.

Unless you are trying for a real "stock" appearance, I would highly recommend an aftermarket head unit with CD built in, or even better a CD changer.

I don't believe the stock CD changer can play CD-R media, and certainly not CD-RW media. (someone tell me if i'm wrong)

With mpeg encoded CD's or compilation CD's burned onto CD-R's becoming so popular, it bites to have a vehicle that won't play them. (My Durango won't)

I love being able to play my 15 to 17 track compilation CD's in my SC with it's older Pioneer CD head unit.

Radio

I'm confused. Do you mean CD Player for the 1990? If so, you can add it to your factory radio just by splicing in the wires from the CD harness to the radio harness. I play my own mix of CD-Rs in the factory CD player w/o any problem. Naturally, it won't play mp3s or CD-RW but burning CDs for the car is not an issue.

cd

I understood there was a cd changer from the factory for the '90. Is this right or is it just a player? I have a changer here, but i'd like to put a foctory changer if there was one and it will work with my radio.
Ed

I don't think the earlier cars had a CD changer option (it was 12-13 years ago, heck I would have been excited just to have a tape player back then :) ) I'm not sure if the later models got one or not. I've never seen an option sheet for a later model mn12. I know I have seen cd changers from Lincolns circa 94/95 at swap meets. Not sure if they got them earlier than that or not.

Cd player

My 90 Sc had the factory cd player. It was a sony unit even though it was a Ford item. If you have the Premium sound, it should have the wiring in the harness. There is an outfit in Oldsmar florida called Technicar that repairs these units. Hope this helps

The '90 coupes did come with a tape deck up top and what is called a "single disk cd changer" below the heater controls. It had the premium sound system with tape deck controlling all of the functions of the changer. All of my head unit was bad and the cd changer didin't work, I replaced it with a unit from Kenwood, because they offer a head unit, and a single disk changer. The head will control the changer with no need to have an extra control panel. If you want to keep the factory unit, and also want a multi-disk changer then you can get an after market unit. The thing is that you have to get one with a modulator. this plugs into the antena line in the back of the radio. You preset it to come on when you tune to a certian channel usually 87.9 FM. It then comes on by the modulator sending a single down to the changer. You then have a remote that controls which disk and which track. All of the volume and sound quality is done by the factory head unit. You can mount this most any where it will fit as long as it is keep dry. Usually the trunk is the best place. Good luck, Biggin'.

Re: Radio

vancouverBC said:
I'm confused. Do you mean CD Player for the 1990? If so, you can add it to your factory radio just by splicing in the wires from the CD harness to the radio harness. I play my own mix of CD-Rs in the factory CD player w/o any problem. Naturally, it won't play mp3s or CD-RW but burning CDs for the car is not an issue.

I have a 90 SC wiht the JBL Sound system installed, NO CD player. I just pulled apart the dash and as far as I can tell, there's no connectivity for data back to the tape player or a power connector for the optional CD player. Was there a seperate harness for this option?

i think the extra wiring came with cd player
i couldnt find any wires for cd player in mine so i bought aftermarket indash radio cd player and hooked it to the stock jbl amp it sounds great

rlong said:
i think the extra wiring came with cd player
i couldnt find any wires for cd player in mine so i bought aftermarket indash radio cd player and hooked it to the stock jbl amp it sounds great

I'm thinking the same.. maybe a stackable power connector on the tape drive with a run to the cd player and the data cable. I got until spring before the SC will see the road again. There a few salvage yards in the area I can try.

Does anybody have a PIC of the power and data cable for the CD player. Mine is a E9SF-19B160-AC

Back