Are all Rotors created equal

Dahoopd

I was surfin ebay for rotors. There are a lot of companies offering slotted/cross drilled rotors. Just wondering if there are better brands of if they are all the same. I assume the braking gain is the same but what about warp, rust....etc.

Anyone have slotted/drilled on their coupe? Thanks for the input guys.

From everything I have seen and read about cross drilled and/or slotted rotors at least the cracking and breaking seems to be the same no matter what type or brand. That AND the premature wear of the pads.

i dont like cross drilled rotors I just let the stockers go till they wear holes in them selfs and viola they are air cooled better than cross drilled.:D

mannysc said:
i dont like cross drilled rotors I just let the stockers go till they wear holes in them selfs and viola they are air cooled better than cross drilled.:D

LOL!................Manny, If I invert them will they last longer?

XR7inWI, I take it that its a bad choice to go with the rotors?

Randy N Connie said:
So far I have had no problems with the bigger diameter stang brakes.
Randy

Dont you have to be driving them to have problems. They dont look worn. Are the stock mustang PBR calipers. Looks damn good.

Dahoopd said:
XR7inWI, I take it that its a bad choice to go with the rotors?

Well, I can't say from experience, but from research and reading and checking into them that I have done, I just don't see near enough benefit to them to justify the initial cost + extra wear on pads + the fact they they tend to crack from heat.

PERSONALLY, I would not buy them. I would just stick with normal type rotors. Upgrading to larger diameter is a great idea, but I just don't see enough benefit in the drilled/slotted rotors. They seem like a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Going with the bigger stang brakes is by leaps & bounds the best mod
I have done to my car.

It is just unbeleivable how smooth & fast the
car stops now.It almost do's a reverse wheelie
now :)

And I like the powder coating on them (chrome).
They still look brand new still today. I would only
buy cadium coated rotors ,So the do not rust also.

I cant tell you if the slots & drilled holes are
better or not. I just don't see that these
brakes will warp or crack like the smaller
stock rotors.I am sure they will ware the
brake pads faster.The pads dont cost that
much, & the stang brake pads swap out a
lot easier than the SC Bird stock pads do.

I could just go on all month long how great
the stang brakes are. Fast n ED is a good
person to talk to about brake swaps.And
he has some brackets he makes that can
save you some money if you would deside
to install the 13" rotors on the front & 12"
on the back. Since these are Ford stang
parts they will be for sale for years. MN12
brake parts will not be around for sale some
day.

By far the best money I have spent on any
mods that I have done. They have save me
from getting into a couple fender benders.

The pictures were takin during and right after
installation

Thanks Randy

Attachments

• 100_0084.JPG
    100_0084.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Prior to the Winter of 2004/2005 I purchased a new set of rotors for my Dodge Durango. I was so impressed with them I suggested SpinningWheels look into these for the SC's. He's got them, and I'll be adding some to my car real soon.

They are from SP Performance. They are available Slotted or drilled or just dimpled. They make the designs in the surface very carefully with very specific geometric designs to prevent cracking. It's been over a year on my Durango, and 2 sets of pads. They look nearly as good as new now as when I put them on.

The nice thing about them is they are a very fair price on top of being high quality.

Back