Removing Alternator Pulley

alternators are the devil. i used my hand, dalke used a table clamp. Make sure though when you put the nut back on to use a little bit of blue loc-tite. i didnt and the pulley flew off when i was going 60 down the freeway.

Ok, Maybe I am really missing something. How can the pulley be help by hand if your using an impact. I would think the torque of the impact is going to spin it in your hand.

Dahoopd said:
Ok, Maybe I am really missing something. How can the pulley be help by hand if your using an impact. I would think the torque of the impact is going to spin it in your hand.

Not Torque, IMPACT.
Torque = twisting force
Impact = striking force

Its not how well the pulley is held still, the impact created by the tool is strong+quick enough to 'hammer' the nut loose by simply holding the pulley from turning. Like in your hand....
One of the guys in here spoke about striking the SPINDLE to get the LCA loose from it, again, another example of Impact. since prying at the arm isn't going to get it out nearly as easily.
Thanks whoever posted about the LCA BTW, (it was Mike 8675309) I am doing that work on my 89 this weekend.
:D

paul

Last edited:
nope
get a pair of mechanix gloves, hold onto that sucker and let er rip, the nut will be off before you know it.

I used to change alternator pullies all the time when i worked at Autozone, it only takes a second. Just get the impact out, hold the pully with your hand and go to town, it will be off before you know it.....

It doesn't seem possible... but it is. Now this assumes you're not using a monster impact like a 1" unit used for lug nuts on semi trucks.

Just put on some gloves or use a towel to grip the pulley and hit it with the impact.

Most of us just leave the belt on while using an impact gun on the nut :confused: This seems to hold the pulley just fine ;)

Paul93SC said:
Most of us just leave the belt on while using an impact gun on the nut :confused: This seems to hold the pulley just fine ;)

I will install my new alternator pulley with an impact gun tomorrow...:cool:

The old pulley was REALLY tight! Two of my friends and I removed the old one. They hold it and I twisted it off. :eek:

Do you have March underdrive pullies?

Alternator pulley - Were you able to use the impact without removing the IC? I don't see how I can get in there without removing it.

not trying to thread swipe or anything but this reminds me of a ..DOH!:eek:...I did once...See I took the IC off and removed the old PS pulley because it was bent. I used the puller made for these particular type pulleys..then pushed the new one on with the matching pusher..then replaced the IC...only to realize I left the pusher bolt in the front of the pulley.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:. Can't take that sucker out with the IC on..no room..DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!...Sold the car a year later with the bolt still along for the ride...:D

90blkbrd said:
Alternator pulley - Were you able to use the impact without removing the IC? I don't see how I can get in there without removing it.

With extensions and a universal joint. You may need to unbolt the upper IC tube compression flange to get the new larger diameter pulley on. I even did a little clearance grinding to the edge of the flange closest to the pulley because it was nearly touching.

David

David Neibert said:
With extensions and a universal joint. You may need to unbolt the upper IC tube compression flange to get the new larger diameter pulley on. I even did a little clearance grinding to the edge of the flange closest to the pulley because it was nearly touching.

David

My cheap air tool set doesn't include a swivel socket or metric sockets. So I make do with what I have. It just took a little more elbow grease.

Might as well add my update. No I couldnt get the pulley off. I ended up taking the alt apart with the pulley still on to clean and polish. That was dumb. Needless to say I got pissed and threw it in the trash and bought another.

Back