Fresh engine, no start, now it starts!!!

Hock

Ok, I just got everything on the engine and it will crank really hard but will not start. I got fuel pressure and it made the I want to start sound only a few times. The battery cables are getting pretty hot along with the starter sileniod, I could only imagine how hot the starter is getting. Now I am not sitting there just crankin and crankin, so I have little clue what may be the problem.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Is there anybody that may have an idea?

Is it possible that if I didn't get the cam sensor set perfect that it would act like this?

If it would be a regular distributor I would ajdust it till I get it to start.

So you got fuel and spark but no start, make sure your crank and cam sensors are up to par, they can cause starting problems for sure. Make sure your ground wires are attached to the frame, this is important as well.

Oh and yes if that cam sensor is not set right it will be a problem, there is a tool or you can eyeball it which is possible but you'll need to search for that thread.

Last edited:
Well, I had the 5 and 6 wire crossed, cranks alittle better but now I have to get the battery charged up!:mad:

Ok, did the search, and found the pics. Mine is set the way the others are. Now, the question is, the #1 piston is to be at TDC when the sensor is in that position?

Hock said:
Ok, I just got everything on the engine and it will crank really hard but will not start. I got fuel pressure and it made the I want to start sound only a few times. The battery cables are getting pretty hot along with the starter sileniod, I could only imagine how hot the starter is getting. Now I am not sitting there just crankin and crankin, so I have little clue what may be the problem.

Any suggestions?

YO HOCK... CHECK THE STARTER WIRE CONNECTIONS. I HAD THE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS ON MY STANG WHEN THE BEER MADE ME HOOK THEM UP WRONG. IT SOUNDED AS IF IT WANTED TO START, BUT COULDNT, THE WIRES GOT HOT AS HELL AND IT DRAINED THE BATTERY IN NO TIME. FOR SOME REASON (BEER) I DECIDED TO BOLT THE BLACK GROUND WIRE ON SELONOID ON THE STARTER INSTED OF TO THE BLOCK???!!! IT MADE FOR A REEEAAAAL NICE SHORT.:D

Last edited:
Well, positive from the battery is going straight to the solenoid and I have to negative grounded to the power steering bracket. I can't remember where the neg batt cable went to so I figured that would be a good place for the ground.

Hock said:
Well, positive from the battery is going straight to the solenoid and I have to negative grounded to the power steering bracket. I can't remember where the neg batt cable went to so I figured that would be a good place for the ground.

HMM DOES THE SOLENOID ON THE STARTER HAVE 2 POSTS? IF I RECALL RIGHT IT DOES. IF THE POSITIVE WAS ON THE WRONG POST OF THE SOLENOID IT MAY ALSO HEAT THE WIRES AND CAUSE A BATTERY DRAIN.
TRY SWITCHING IT TO THE OTHER POST.

Alright, upate.

I took out my breaker bar and put it on the crank bolt and I cannot turn the crank. It was all good when I put the engine together, turned smooth, but it was alittle tight when I finally dropped everything in but I could still turn it.

So now I'm at a loose, thinking that the trans and clutch may be binding up somehow.

Any thoughts?

HMMM TRUE.:confused: YOU SURE YOU GOT THE CAM POSITION SENSOR ADJUSTED RIGHT? DID YOU USE THE LITTLE PLASTIC TOOL TO HOLD IT IN THE CORRECT POSITION FOR YOU? LOL EEC CAN GET CRANKY FAST IF THE SENSORS ARE NOT ADJUSTED RIGHT. BEEN THERE:rolleyes:

Yes I used the tool, my calibrated eye.:D But my question for that is the #1 cylinder should be at TDC for that, correct?

I Do Know That Just Cus Some Of The Main Bearings Look The Same That Infact They Are Not. I Got A Front A Rear(i Think) Mixed Up And The Short Block Wouldnt Turn At All. My Bad.

Hock said:
Alright, upate.

I took out my breaker bar and put it on the crank bolt and I cannot turn the crank. It was all good when I put the engine together, turned smooth, but it was alittle tight when I finally dropped everything in but I could still turn it.

So now I'm at a loose, thinking that the trans and clutch may be binding up somehow.

Any thoughts?

THE TRANNY IS OUT OF GEAR RIGHT? I KNOW STUPID QUESTION, BUT I HAVE HAD INE HIT THE HOLE IN THE TRANNY TUNNEL DURING INSTALL AND TAP IT INTO GEAR.

Last edited:
You need to set your crank to 26 deg ATDC and install the cam sensor with the tool, $20.00 some odd dollars at spinningwheels

90coug said:
You need to set your crank to 26 deg ATDC and install the cam sensor with the tool, $20.00 some odd dollars at spinningwheels

You have got to be joking.:mad:

OK........

How do I tell 26 deg ATDC with a BHJ balancer?

Back