91+ wheel hub same as '89?

JStudrawa

Got some serious grinding noises coming from the right front tire area when I make a left turn. Wheel hub for the '89 is $182 at Autozone.

In reading the brake forum, it says swap to a '91 hub. Is it just that easy? Because the '91 hub looks to be a lot cheaper too.

Anyone have the part# for the bearings themselves? the noise may just be them wearing out vs. the entire assembly.

In the front the bearings are integral to the hub assembly. In the rear they are pressed in the aluminum knuckle.

Not that it really helps anyone here, but just a useless tidbit of info..... You can't use an early style hub on a late model car (93+).

XR7 Dave said:
Not that it really helps anyone here, but just a useless tidbit of info..... You can't use an early style hub on a late model car (93+).

Why would anyone want to the cost of the early rotrs is twice what the late rotors are, partly because the late rotors also fit windstars and taurus's. I always swapped late hubs and rotors to early cars never had a reason to go the other way, I certainly wouldn't trust a 15 year old hub on one of these cars.
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
Why would anyone want to the cost of the early rotrs is twice what the late rotors are, partly because the late rotors also fit windstars and taurus's. I always swapped late hubs and rotors to early cars never had a reason to go the other way, I certainly wouldn't trust a 15 year old hub on one of these cars.
Alan

I had a new hub for an 89 and I had a 93 with a bad bearing. I tried to use the 89 hub and it fit fine until I attempted to install the brakes. The rotor wasn't the problem. The problem is that the early hubs have about 3/16" different offset than the newer ones. On the old brakes that doesn't matter because of the way the caliper floats. On the newer style brakes the bracket surrounds the rotor and the difference in offset is enough that the rotor will bind on the brackets.

Like I said, mostly useless information but fact nonetheless.

gldiii said:
In the front the bearings are integral to the hub assembly. In the rear they are pressed in the aluminum knuckle.

also that aluminum knuckle can get damaged and deformed if you drive around with an absolutly obliterated bearing for too long. And then, anytime you try to put a new bearing in, the new bearing will just rip itslef to shreads in a matter of hundreds of miles.
Not that i would know this from experience or anything

Back