motor mount locations for V8 turbo

1QuikV6

Ive got 253,000 on the original 3.8 and even though the car still runs good Im wanting to be prepared for when it goes. Im planning on a V8 turbo swap so Im wanting to get a parts list together so I can hopefully have a running swap to go in before the 3.8 clocks out.

I want to do a simple 302 swap out of a Fox mustang (EFI) and maybe a T3 or T3/T4 hybrid setup. Its a daily driver so I want something streetable since its my only mode of transportation and i need reliability.

I have a running 5.0 out of a 88 GT but thats where my list stops. So here are the questions:

Will my SC's AOD bolt up? Its been recently rebuilt with a Trans Go shift kit.

Are the motor mounts ok or do they need to be relocated?

What should I do to prepare it for a lower boost application? bearings and rods?

What kind of ECU programming will I need? Can I drop the 5.0 in and it run boost or will the ECU freak out?

88 stangs had cast pistons so you will need to upgrade. the stock crank and block are good to around 500 horse under boost with a good tune under 10 psi.
ive seen stock cranks hold up to 19 from a y trim but i wouldnt recommend it. if you want some more insurance. stud girdle and ARP hardware. the motor mounts on my SC were shot, and im using solids on the v8 car, so i did a little rearranging and was able to use my v8 mounts on the v6. had to change the top plate that mounts the block to the mount. pull your motor you will understand what im talking about. The sc trans will work great for a v8 app.

note: im sure fox v8 mounts are different from mn12 v8 mounts. you may go to a junkyard fro some mn12 mounts even if you just wind up using the steel off of them and buying new rubber. the fox oil pan works good in an mn12, they just have 2 oil plugs so remember that. also for headers usually have to modify the steering shaft its been done nicely by 1 or 2 users on here. mof course if youre flipping headers upside down for turbo app, you may not need to do this

the SC EEC will not run your v8. the eecs out of v8 tbirds suck as well. you may need to use the eec out of the stang but the 88s were speed density. so then you need a 89 and up 9AL eec. then you need a mustang eec harness from the same year. boy i think i would use a carb and a hat if you are on a budget

Last edited:
Yeah I'm thinking of just carbin' it for the sake of time and headaches but I see vids of all these EFI turbo's and they make me weak at the knees...

1QuikV6 said:
Its a daily driver so I want something streetable since its my only mode of transportation and i need reliability.

Then stop right now, take some of the money you're going to spend and use it to buy a work beater. Trust me here, trying to modify a car AND use it as a daily driver is an exercise is frustration.

Yeah I'm thinking of just carbin' it for the sake of time and headaches but I see vids of all these EFI turbo's and they make me weak at the knees...

Blow-through carb set up, then.

Back