Bad plug wires???

ThunderDave

Ok, I was checking the plug wires the other day to make sure they were on good. The #5 plug wire felt loose, so I pulled it off and crimped it a little and put it back on. Since then, it runs ok, until you try to go into too much boost, 5-10 lbs. Then it acts as if it has a miss and stubbles. It didn't have this problem before and I'm wondering if that wire got damaged somehow when I took it off and put it back on.

Will a bad wire do that? Run good until the boost increases to a certain point and then start to miss?:confused: Thanks for any help.

Oh, if I keep the boost under 5 lbs. psi, I can accelerate up pretty fast, but as soon as it goes 5-10 lbs. that's when it starts havings problems. The fuel pump and filter have both been replaced within the last couple of years.:confused:

I've got an 89 SC being delivered today, so I pull a plug wire off of it and see it that does it. But if not, what should I look for?

That would be bad plug wires. I had that happen once when I didn't seat one real well on the plug. Do yourself a favor, run to advance and pick up a new set of Autolite Premium wires, did this last week...$42.87 w/ tax. You'll feel like you have a new car.

-Tim

Thanks Tim! I was thinking that's what it was. I'll try the other plug wire and if it works I'll get a new set. I got these from Ford in Jan. 04 when I did the head gaskets. Shame they went bad so fast. Thanks for the info Tim.

RadiumSC said:
Will a bad wire do that? Run good until the boost increases to a certain point and then start to miss?:confused: Thanks for any help.

Yes David a bad plug wire can cause that. See what happens is as boost increases so does the power going threw the plug wires. That plug wire is probably grounding out somewhere and thats why you are experiencing a miss. My 35th did this at the 2004 SC/XR7 Shootout on the dyno. Replaced the plug wires and it ran good as new.

Shane

Back