Debating: stage 8 locking bolts -vs- SCP header kit for midlength headers.

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Im installing midlength headers on my 89 and im debating if its worth the extra money to get the stage 8 locking bolts. IM pretty sure the SCP header kit doesnt include locking hardware, but it includes the gaskets already. During my reading i saw that George D. paid $45 for the kit (6919) in 2004, but they're now $54.22 plus price of gaskets. The SCP kit is $35.

What do u guys suggest? I figure the locking bolts are 'safe' in terms they wont back out, but woulnt they also be hard to remove if and when the time comes? Also, i think they're all bolts and that means that the brackets attached to the original studs in the manifolds will now be hanging loose.

Suggestions?

I'm just using regular bolts and studs with my headers and have never had any bolts coming loose or leaks (using felpro gaskets and copper RTV). I'm sure the stage 8 locking system is better, but it just looks like more of a pain than I want to deal with.

David

The stage 8 locking header bolts are definitely a big pain to remove, but they do work. The worst part about removing or installing them is that the part that keeps the bolts from spinning isn't magnetic, so if you drop one while trying to put it over the head of the bolt, retrieval can be a pain.

But yeah, I'd use them again.

I installed my mid lengths 12,000+ miles ago with stock bolts and never had any back out. SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR THE NEXT TANK OF GAS:(

CaifanSC said:
Im installing midlength headers on my 89 and im debating if its worth the extra money to get the stage 8 locking bolts. IM pretty sure the SCP header kit doesnt include locking hardware, but it includes the gaskets already. During my reading i saw that George D. paid $45 for the kit (6919) in 2004, but they're now $54.22 plus price of gaskets. The SCP kit is $35.

What do u guys suggest? I figure the locking bolts are 'safe' in terms they wont back out, but woulnt they also be hard to remove if and when the time comes? Also, i think they're all bolts and that means that the brackets attached to the original studs in the manifolds will now be hanging loose.

Suggestions?

Like everyone else has said you don't really need to wory about the bolts coming loose. I am using the kit from SCP only because they came with the headers I bought from another member, as for all of the brackets they will install in the stock locations just like if you were using the stock bolts and studs.

Charles

Back