out of line independent suspension

squirt295

i am goin to look at a couple of 89 sc's . one the motor is strong n runs good there is no check light on the dashes that comes on, the only thing thats wrong with it is it dog walks a lil. the guys said it was hit and knocked it off about 2 inches was wonderin what it would cost to fix somthing like that? and he has another one that ran fine when he parked it 2 years ago. if i was to get that what are some things to look for since it has sat for so long. thanks in advanced

2", Omfg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

squirt295 said:
only thing thats wrong with it is it dog walks a lil. the guys said it was hit and knocked it off about 2 inches
2"!!!!! Holy Crap, Will it even drive in anything other than a CIRCLE? At least you'll never get lost, cuz the car will always come back to where it started from. If it WAS hit hard enough to move the subframe 2", There will be MAJOR evidence of the damage. I'm surprized that any (reputable) body shop would even try to repair enough body damage to move the frame 2".

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
2"!!!!! Holy Crap, Will it even drive in anything other than a CIRCLE? At least you'll never get lost, cuz the car will always come back to where it started from. If it WAS hit hard enough to move the subframe 2", There will be MAJOR evidence of the damage. I'm surprized that any (reputable) body shop would even try to repair enough body damage to move the frame 2".

68COUGAR

well i went and looked at it and drove it in the parkin lot cause it does not have tags on it the guy has a body shop but does not do things like frame work also he drove it to his shop after it got hit so i unno... its very clean an motor is realy nice which sucks.he was sayin that his buddy said u could unbolt the independent suspension and move it back n allign it which will fix it.it was hit on the rear driver panel , guess a lady turnd the corner an hit it right there n the rear driver tire which cause it but on the panel there is a dent about the size of a volley ball which doesnt look so bad just amazed me how it only got a lil dent like that an messed up the suspensin! does anyone know if that can be done n be ok? the unbolting an shifting back to place n allign it ?

for as cheap as sc's are these days, just find one with a solid/straight body. you'll probably be better off in the long run.

jeff

He said, she said..................u could unbolt the independent suspension and move

squirt295 said:
he was sayin that his buddy said u could unbolt the independent suspension and move it back n allign it which will fix it.
Either something is Drastically Bent, Broken, or the guy is flat ou lying to you.

If something is Bent, it isn't going to UN-bend simply by unbolting it.
If something is Broke, it isn't going to UN-break simply by unbolting it.
Now if the guy is flat out feedin' you a line of Horse Hockey, just to unload the car, that's a different story. I don't see how you can possibly "move" the rear subframe mounts. Once on the hoist, Make the guy point to the parts that the nameless he said, she said, could be moved.

You need to get the car on a hoist & look at the subframe mounts. Look for anything Bent, Ripped, or Broken. It should look like this:

Isolator2.jpg

68COUGAR

Last edited:
squirt295 said:
i am goin to look at a couple of 89 sc's . one the motor is strong n runs good there is no check light on the dashes that comes on, the only thing thats wrong with it is it dog walks a lil. the guys said it was hit and knocked it off about 2 inches was wonderin what it would cost to fix somthing like that? and he has another one that ran fine when he parked it 2 years ago. if i was to get that what are some things to look for since it has sat for so long. thanks in advanced

Offer him $500 for BOTH of the cars and between the two you should have all you need to get one running good and strong. After that, just strip the left over one (with the tweaked suspension) and either sell the extra parts or hang on to them for your own use in the future.

Back