balancer?

coupeCorona

what is the best way to get the balancer off these motors? i guess i dont have a strong enough compressor and gun ssooooooooo?

A Harmonic Balacer removal tool is about the only way to get it off the crankshaft.

- Dan

Taken from your friendly SCCoO chapter:

1. Remove the upper radiator hose.

2. Remove the radiator fan.

3. Remove the crankshaft pulley. There are (4) 13mm bolts holding it to the balancer. Do not remove the belts yet since they will help stop the motor from turning.

4. Remove the balancer upper and lower dust shield. There is one nut and the top, and one at the bottom (reached from underneath the car). The upper and lower shields just snap together. You may have to remove the water pump pulley to reach the upper nut. Use a screwdriver to jam the water pump bolts to the water pump center shaft to stop it from turning.

5. Remove all (3) serpentine belts using a 18mm socket on the tensioner pulleys.

6. Remove the crankshaft bolt (if applicable) using a 7/8" socket and extension.

7. Remove the harmonic balancer using a harmonic balancer puller available at any auto parts store ($20). Use two of the crank pulley bolts with the puller. If the balancer is broken, you may have to drill into the remaining portion of the balancer and insert self tapping screws for the puller to grab it. The balancer is easy to drill since it's aluminum. Be sure not to damage the crankshaft threads when drilling or using the puller. You may also use wire wrapped around the back of the balancer to pull it. Be careful as this may damage the balancer.

8. Remove the broken portion of the crank bolt remaining in the crankshaft nose. It won't be in there very tight, but you need to get a firm grip on it. This can be done in several ways. The most common is to drill a pilot hole into the centre of the remaining bolt and use and EZout screw extractor. It's a reverse tap which will grab the bolt while spinning it out backwards. The next option is to use a dremel tool and cut a slot into the remaining bolt and use a flathead screwdriver to spin it out. You can also use JB Weld and bond a nut to the broken portion of the bolt. Be sure not to get any weld on the crankshaft itself. After letting it dry for 16 hours, you can spin it out with a socket. You can also have a nut welded to the broken bolt, just tacking it on the inside of the nut to the bolt. Be sure not to damage the crankshaft threads in any way.

9. Inspect the old harmonic balancer for wear. Be sure there are no cracks in the housing. Inspect the rubber isolator for wear. If any defects are found, replace it.

10. Reinstall the crank pulley onto the harmonic balancer. The pulley only fits on one way since the holes are offset. Torque the 4 bolts to 25 lb/ft using a torque wrench. You can use Loctite on the threads if you wish. Be sure the pulley sits on the balancer hub properly, DO NOT force it and DO NOT use the bolts to draw it in. It if does not sit square with the balancer it will damage the aluminum hub and be off balance.

11. Apply a small amount of RTV to the crankshaft keyway and neck. This will stop oil seepage. Reinstall the balancer onto the crankshaft being sure to line up the keyway. Use a piece of wood on the crank pulley to gently tap it onto the crankshaft nose.

12. Reinstall a NEW crankshaft bolt with washer, and apply a small amount of Loctite to the threads. DO NOT reuse the old crank bolt as they are prone to breakage. Torque the crankshaft bolt to 100 ft/lb. You can stop the motor from spinning in 5 speed cars by placing the transmission in gear and having someone step on the brakes. For automatic cars, you must jam the flexplate. Use the socket to jam one of the torque convertor bolts against the transmission housing or just get someone to hold it with a screwdriver.

13. Reinstall the dust cover, water pump pulley, accessory belts, radiator fan, and upper radiator hose. Be sure to top up the coolant.

14. Stand clear when starting the motor. Check that the crank pulley does not have any excessive vibrations. Check for oil and coolant leaks.

Shown below is a picture of the harmonic balancer puller about to remove it from the crankshaft.

Attachments

• crankp1.jpg
    crankp1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 161
coupecorona aka chris goodwin is a theif....or so it seems.

won't respond to emails, takes your money, and doesn't send the parts... i'll gladly edit this post should he own up to the situation and send me the parts or my money back.

jeff

Last edited:
??????

or it seems that you have reseved your part and want your money back because you are one of those people????

this has happend twice now!!!!! so anything else

reserved my part? you haven't replied to my emails and i paid you on april 1 and you said you would get it out asap. if you would reply it would avoid confusion, but as i stated, no refund or not parts yet.

jeff

This is NOT, I repeat NOT the proper forum for this. There are buyer and seller feedback forums for such discussions.

But I DO tend to agree that responding to emails and a little communication can go a LOOOONG way. Especially if the money has already changed hands but the part has yet to be shipped.

the buyer/seller forums are worthless once someone already has your money and you don't have your parts. especially when they won't reply to you. i'm going to use any means i can to try to get ahold of the person and if that means posting in a different forum. besides, i don't think many other visit them in the first place. and if it takes a redflag somewhere else so i can potentially prevent someone else from getting ripped off....i will. at least by posting here i **kind of** got an answer to why i haven't gotten my parts.

he's a theif

just ask him to show you a reciept, he has ripped off about 5 people in the last month. has has shown no proof of shipping anything to anyone. Though he tries to tell you it was mailed. he has given this forum a bad reputation. other forums someone rips memebers off like this, forum admint people step in and try to work things out, and if they can't they usually ban the person ripping the members off

This is like one of those NEWB questions you were talking about in another thread XR7 .. how do you get the Balancer off .. :confused: :eek:

Aside from that, coupeCorona IS a Member of the club and it makes other members look bad and hard to trust, especially when people dont respond to emails. Sometimes addressing them on a public forum is a way to bring more attention to the situation. So simply banning somebody isnt the best solution to the problem.

Maybe he needs to get the Balancer off because somebody paid for it and he wants to actually send it out, which I seriously doubt, just wishful thinking .. :rolleyes:

- Dan

Last edited:
I think people who rip off others money like this should have their membership revoked. I don't think it would do much good to ban them because they could simply create a new user name/account. IP banning is a bit drastic because it risks blocking other users that have not done anything wrong.

What COULD be done is to add a signature line to the user's (after their membership is revoked) posts stating that they have several unhappy customers because they have not sent out parts after receiving money for them. This way EVERYONE would be able to see what kind of business this person does.

Unfortunately, I doubt the "powers that be" around here will do anything but sit on their hands and ignore the situation. It is much more important around here for the administration to spend their time deleting non automotive related posts while members are getting screwed over and having money stolen from them.:rolleyes:

Would be nice if SOMEONE would do SOMETHING. If nothing else it would send a message to other "would be" theifs around here. As it is, what kid of message are we sending to those who might wanna rip us off? We are basically saying, "go for it, we won't do anything about it, our club doesn't care."

Back