pinging

manny

well ive noticed some slight pinging under light to moderate acceleration ONLY when the weather is warm. first noticed it a few days ago at mid afternoon,temp was in the upper 80's . never hear it in the mornings or at night. other than that my car runs strong, and doesnt overheat. 170k on original headgaskets. im thinking about switching over to autolite copper plugs, as i have heard and learned through research that they are more resistant to detonation when compared to the stock platinums which i am now running.what say you, the fine people of the SCCOA ?

THERE CAN BE ONLY 1 MANNY!!!!!!!!

oh and the search feature is your friend. double platinums seem to work best. that and a tune.

What type of gas are you using? Probably obvious but you will get the pinging/detonation if you use less then the recommended octane. If this isn't the problem get it fixed as soon as possible pinging leads to hg failure.

manny said:
well ive noticed some slight pinging under light to moderate acceleration ONLY when the weather is warm. first noticed it a few days ago at mid afternoon,temp was in the upper 80's . never hear it in the mornings or at night. other than that my car runs strong, and doesnt overheat. 170k on original headgaskets. im thinking about switching over to autolite copper plugs, as i have heard and learned through research that they are more resistant to detonation when compared to the stock platinums which i am now running.what say you, the fine people of the SCCOA ?

hey hows the weather in Visalia and vicinity? I loved it there when I used to visit....
anyway Welcome.
I hate to bring this up, but I am doing HG's on my 89 right now (197k), and there was A Lot of Stop Leak around the coolant passages @ the HG. This means there was a restriction in coolant flow, and hotter Head temps as a result. If you get a Ping with 92 Octane, thats a real sign that you are not getting/keeping the Head cool enough.
Watch your coolant level, REALLY WATCH IT in your climate especially!
Check for your FAN for proper function, even with a 195 deg stat, you should still have that come on HIGH quite a bit down in that region. The IRCM's in these cars are all going bad nowadays, so make sure your fan is operating.
What else.........
In your shoes I would go out and get a cooler stat(180deg), and replace anything coolant related that leaks ASAP. You don't want to have a blown HG any sooner than is necessary!
:)
paul

Last edited:
shotbirdsc said:
What type of gas are you using? Probably obvious but you will get the pinging/detonation if you use less then the recommended octane. If this isn't the problem get it fixed as soon as possible pinging leads to hg failure.
i have ONLY over used chevron 91 octane. 3.30 a gallon last fillup.

thirdbird said:
hey hows the weather in Visalia and vicinity? I loved it there when I used to visit....
anyway Welcome.
I hate to bring this up, but I am doing HG's on my 89 right now (197k), and there was A Lot of Stop Leak around the coolant passages @ the HG. This means there was a restriction in coolant flow, and hotter Head temps as a result. If you get a Ping with 92 Octane, thats a real sign that you are not getting/keeping the Head cool enough.
Watch your coolant level, REALLY WATCH IT in your climate especially!
Check for your FAN for proper function, even with a 195 deg stat, you should still have that come on HIGH quite a bit down in that region. The IRCM's in these cars are all going bad nowadays, so make sure your fan is operating.
What else.........
In your shoes I would go out and get a cooler stat(180deg), and replace anything coolant related that leaks ASAP. You don't want to have a blown HG any sooner than is necessary!
:)
paul

its starting to get warm around here.its supposed to hit 90's this week. visalia is about 10 minutes away. i believe i found the problem. i pulled out a spark plug and measured the gap, it was nearly .075, DAMN. definitely producing too hot of a spark and straining my ignition system.last time i changed them about 70,000 miles ago, when i first aquired this car.i used the OE recommended platinums from FORD. this time around im gonna use autolite 764 copper plugs. and add a 180 t-stat. this should hopefully prevent detonation when the weather gets up to and above 110.

Nothing wrong with running the coppers, except you will need to change them more often, like every year or so. I don't mind doing that cause it tells me whats going on inside there :).

As for the 180 tstat. If you don't get your computer reprogrammed to bring the fans on at a lower temperature, you could end up heating your car up more that running the standard temp tstat. Do a search on it and you'll see what the problems are with the 180 and no computer mods.

Have fun

Frit

Your have a worn out pong filter in your system, letting the pings in. You should be able to get the generic at any local parts store. The OEM part number is ATA-RI2600-PONG.

Pablo94SC said:
Your have a worn out pong filter in your system, letting the pings in. You should be able to get the generic at any local parts store. The OEM part number is ATA-RI2600-PONG.
haha. i have an atari 2600 lying around collecting dust. actually its in a box along with the old 8-bit nes system.

Back