running w/o a MAF

Merlon

so i hav e had a problem with my car misfireing after 10 minutes of driving, and i have been looking for the problem. i read on this site, something about a MAF, and how it needs cleaning, and or to run without it. i unplugged it ,andwas going to clean it but ran the car without to see whats up, ran a little ~~~~~~, at first, then okay, been three days and no misfires, but, i do smell something, dont know what. when i plugged the MAF in it idled like ~~~~e after a 10 minute drive, so what could be the possible downtime of driving without a MAF for sometime? i think ricers do it with the cold air stuff, but what about our car?

oh on an unrelated note, my brother drives an 86 fiero gt and i wsa going to buyit off of him, but after he saw it cleaned and waxed, and taken care of he wanted it back. now though hes noticing, i noticed to actually, the car lose power after 45 minutes of highway drive or fast driving in town the car backfires with spraks, and even threw a flame. looses power then sometimes wont start agian for about 10 minutes. anyone know what the problem might be? having it checked tommorow but before that what might be a good place to look replaced
MAP sensor,
fuel filter,
air filter,
pcv filter,
bosch plugs wireset, dist cap,
new cats about 2-3 years back
91 octane
i thought cats, or the bosch plugs but i dont know for sure.

Last edited:
Ran pretty good without the MAF hooked up didn't it? Not a surprise to me. A MAF will not set a check engine light most of the time. When you disconnect it the computer goes into a default mode. It won't adjust fuel trim and AF ratios as it would if it were measuring the incoming air through the MAF. It may mess with your fuel mileage some, as you will be burning more fuel. I tried to get the disconnecting the MAF sensor point across earlier to some other members, but maybe now they will understand what I was talking about.

yeah it might of been something you said

in a post i read the other week. about unplugging it and having the car run better. i do use a little more gas, but hey it drives withut bitching at the 10 minute mark. so does this mean i have to purchase a new MAF? or maybe upgrade my intake?

Check plugs wires and battery connections first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then clean the maf with a little carb cleaner and wire brush (the electrical connections)

Then buy a new maf if it doesnt work.

For the fiero, check plugs and wires. If theyre stock theyre pretty old. Then check the alternator to see if its putting out 14 volts

fiero has new

bosch wireset and bosh plugs, new alternator(2 in one year, first one ~~~~, second doing better) just checked lasdt week when i had it, and new fuel filter, air filter. (fiero gt)

ill go to kragens before work tomorrow and buy some carb cleaner, and see whats up, and then hopefully if that works the car runs as good with better mileage. and if it doesnt, im sure all mafs from ford are the same for the thunderbids of this year, but it will still be a bitch to find in a junkyard or store

Back