Injector Woes

acb92sc

So I got 36lbers for free from a buddy who had me strip his parts car (along with the 95 blower). Yeah, right? I soaked them in some injector cleaner for afew hours, and took a tooth brush to them to clean them up. Well, the bottom tips were so brittle, the edges broke. Question is, can I still run these injectors with the edges cracked, can I put replacement tips on them, or can I use the tips from my 89 instead?

Nothing like Murphy's Law to kick you in the a--.......

I had one bottom tip piece crack on me, I put it in very carefully and it's working great at the moment, if you can replace the bottom tips I'd say do it. Also replace the o-rings or at least lube them up with a bit of oil before installing them.

If you mean the little plastic cap on the squirting end, that is called a "pintle cap". They are definitely replaceable. You can replace all the pintle caps while you're at it. Just carefully pull the old ones off so you don't damage the pintle. Then pop the new ones on. I am pretty sure you can order those through NAPA, Advance, or Autozone. Or, you might consider sending your injectors to Jeff (J57ltr). He can clean and flow-test them and install all new o-rings and pintle caps. I think the price is $7 to $9 or so per injector.

last i checked they were about 3 bux per injector. HOwever, when i acquired a set of stock 94-95 sc 36# injectors I was told not to use them on my 89.

I told you?

Jeff

You can buy the pintle cap kit from Napa. It comes with the pintle cap o-rings and spacer (sits between the body and front o-ring. I don't have the part # handy but a search for injector cleaning or pintle cap and I am sure you can get the PN. You can also just roll up to NAPA and ask them and if they tell you they don't have it ask to speak to a man.;)

At the moment my machine can clean them but I am unable to CC them bacasue the slave cylinder has a leak in it and won't let me shut off the flow at the bottom of the tubes to take measurments. I have a friend that may have found a part that is close and I'll try to get it up and running again to do a full test on any I recieve in the future.

Jeff

It sounded that I had told you that, I had someone that asked about putting 36#ers on his car with the stock 94-95 MAF and I told him that method would not work.

Jeff

No they are the same for all injectors in the ford line from 14# to 42#, intil you get into thte pencil style which have no cap.

Jeff

While we're on the topic of interchangeability, I think the o-rings are also mostly interchangeable for all of these Bosch-style fuel injectors. Jeff, you would know better than I would, so correct me if I'm wrong. I remember I replaced all the o-rings on my Mom's Windstar, which has 19 or 21lb injectors. They come with green o-rings on them, which are made of some special material or something. Well, nobody sells the green o-rings, or nobody did at the time. I compared them with the o-rings for a regular T-bird 3.8, and they looked dimensionally the same. So I used the T-Bird ones with no issues.

They are all the same size I know material changed but the brown ones you usually get are fine. I had info on that but it was many hard drives ago. In any case you'r all right with the ones from NAPA for sure.

Jeff

Back