PDA

View Full Version : Bosch spark plug wires

ShawnSC1
04-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Has anyone installed those wires on there sc. If so have you ever had any problems.

Reason I am asking is because I installed them with the motorcraft dp plugs, and I am having problems at high rmps. It could be a loose spark plug or even a bad plug connection. I would like to rule out that the bosch wires could be a problem first, so that way I don't have to go out and spend another $80. The bosch cost me $60, and the motorcraft set are $80. Yes I know I should of went with the stock, but no body had them in stock at the time.

trife86
04-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Has anyone installed those wires on there sc. If so have you ever had any problems.

Reason I am asking is because I installed them with the motorcraft dp plugs, and I am having problems at high rmps. It could be a loose spark plug or even a bad plug connection. I would like to rule out that the bosch wires could be a problem first, so that way I don't have to go out and spend another $80. The bosch cost me $60, and the motorcraft set are $80. Yes I know I should of went with the stock, but no body had them in stock at the time.

bosch is usually preety good, i heard of a few people have problems with double platnium plugs though

XxSlowpokexX
04-28-2006, 12:36 AM
run from Bocsh plugs...RUNN!!!

birds4us
04-28-2006, 06:36 AM
I agree on the plugs.

tbirdsport91
04-28-2006, 09:43 AM
i would stay away from bosh all together that seems to be like a curse word in my circle of friends every time any of us do tune ups with bosh stuff it seems to come back a week later miss firing

doug93sc
04-28-2006, 10:19 AM
$80 for Motorcraft plug wires?? I just replaced a set for free (which has a lifetime warranty) from "Murrays" Same at "Parts America" and on the receipt they were only $51.00. $80.00 sounds way high....

But I would agree with everyone else stay away from Bosch plugs and wires for the SC, since that probably is causing your problem.

Mike8675309
04-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Is this a problem you had before the plug and wire swap? Or did this develop after the swap?

What PSI of boost are you running when this happens?

What did you gap the plugs to?

I don't know that Bosh wires are any worse than any other non-motorcraft wire. If they mention things like "ultra-low" resistance or other such crap, then they could be a problem. Super Low resistance in the plug wire is not necessarily a good thing.

XR7inWI
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
The ONLY thing I have ever bought with the Bosche name on it that wasn't junk was O2 sensors. I have tried most everything else offered by Bosche over the las 10 years or so on several different vehicles and the O2 sensors were the only thing that lasted and never caused problems.

ShawnSC1
04-29-2006, 03:57 PM
This motor is a backup motor, other one is being rebuilt. So I have no history on the backup motor. It ran like crap at first and hard time starting, RMP tach was jumpy. SO cure cam sensor (fixed). Now after driving normal its fine, util you give it alot of gas and then it feels like its mising, and sometime it boggs down with the gas down. I agree with the bosch spark plugs, I don't use them. On bosch sensors ect. I don't mind.

Scott Long
04-29-2006, 06:38 PM
I just have a set of the liftetime warranty autozone wires on my SC and I use motorcraft AWSF-32pp plugs. No problems here at 12 psi.

thirdbird
04-30-2006, 01:29 AM
David Neibert suggested, and I bought and installed today a set of Taylor Spiro Pro plug wires. They are well worth the $50 shipped from Summit.
Well see if I get the car running tomorrow!
This HG Swap went at a Granny pace, but still alot of fun for me.
Can't wait to get my own garage, then I don't have to bug Shamus anymore!:D

paul

Mike8675309
04-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Post the part number if you can. I need to order some new wires and might give them a try.

XR7inWI
04-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Post the part number if you can. I need to order some new wires and might give them a try.

Ditto... I would like that part # as well. Thanx

turbospeed
04-30-2006, 06:00 PM
well i remeber reading here a like 3 years ago that bosch spark plug wire give lots of problems and someone suggested the autolite ones , they seem to work well on my sc , but i may upgrade to something a lil better later on....

anyways they have lifetime warranty so i change them every 6 months.

thirdbird
05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Heres from the other thread that I found them.....

"Taylor spiro pro series 8mm w/135 degree boot #074269 (red) or #074669 (blue) are direct replacments for the stock wires and will last much longer.

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbird1
Who carries those David? I looked for those all over and nodda one place had them. As far a part # for the ford wires, just go to summit.com. You get 8 wires from the 4.6 , 2 extra for good luck

Summit ....part # TAY-74269

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=36&y=10

The picture is wrong, the wires are red and have clips for the coil pack just like stock wires.

David"

paul:D

Dahoopd
05-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Heres from the other thread that I found them.....

"Taylor spiro pro series 8mm w/135 degree boot #074269 (red) or #074669 (blue) are direct replacments for the stock wires and will last much longer.

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbird1
Who carries those David? I looked for those all over and nodda one place had them. As far a part # for the ford wires, just go to summit.com. You get 8 wires from the 4.6 , 2 extra for good luck

Summit ....part # TAY-74269

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=36&y=10

The picture is wrong, the wires are red and have clips for the coil pack just like stock wires.

David"

paul:D

Anyone aware if these come in black or grey. Just not into the fruitful colors of wires.

ShawnSC1
05-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Well I started to check the connections on my spark plugs and when I tried to pull the boot off the spark plug. The plug wire broke. This happened on 4 of them. I have never had a problem with motorcraft wires breaking like that. I had these bosch plug wires on the car just under 10kms. They must be crap. I am going to install the motorcraft plug wires and get another set of motorcraft DP spark plugs.

95badbird
05-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Super Low resistance in the plug wire is not necessarily a good thing.
Why is that?

Lets ask ourselves about resistance.
The less resistance there is between 2 points/things, the faster something will travel.

Mike8675309
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Why is that?

Lets ask ourselves about resistance.
The less resistance there is between 2 points/things, the faster something will travel.

Ahh, something that seems like it should be so simple, but really is not. Resistance doesn't impact "speed" thus faster/slower doesn't apply. Reistance impacts current based on voltage.

The issue as it relates to our ignition system is the voltage necessary to bridge the gap of the plug with sufficient strength that it makes a nice big spark, and not a little wimpy one.

I'll research it a little further and maybe can talk about it more technically. See this thread in the meantime.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34094&highlight=jacobs+wires+resistance