5 Speed Shifter Parts

aviationstation

FYI...

Just called our local Ford dealer and they can in fact order parts for the 5 Speed shifter assys. I'm checking a larger dealer about 30 mins away to verify that parts are available there too.

Note that part F5TZ-7228-A is now 1L2Z-7228-AA (the plastic sockets), and part E8TZ-7E018-A (four washers) can also be ordered under the original part number.

All other parts numbers were "orderable" so you might check your local Ford dealer for revised part numbers and availability. This should be good news for those of us that have sloppy shifters over our crunchboxes.

These dealers are in SoCal...

M Randolph
=======
Fallbrook, Khaliforyna
95' SC 5-Speed Black on Gray (always for sale)
66' Nova SS 283/TH-350
71' El Camino SM 400/TH-400
73' Piper Cherokee (yes it's slow but it'll still beat you)
92' Glasair II (255 knot cruise on 9 GPH! Like a winged Geo on Meth...)

why? when you can spend the extra scratch on a B&M short shifter with non-wearable parts that will last forever and call it a day...

darkstar_one said:
why? when you can spend the extra scratch on a B&M short shifter with non-wearable parts that will last forever and call it a day...
I agree..... Get the B&M Ripper Shifter and be done with it.

Most of the shifter parts are the same as the M5R1 in the newer Rangers. The only piece not available is the round boot, E9SZ 7277 A, which is unique to the SC.

A rebuilt stock shifter works pretty nice IMO, I was amazed at the difference. :)

cheers
Ed N.

I agree that the B&M is a better shifter, but I'd prefer to keep this car, a 95 as stock as possible. I've thought about maching my own sockets but i'm lousy with my lathe & my mill is too way much for such a small part. Still, most of the B&M stuff is hecho in a neighboring country closer to the equator than us, and I'd prefer to suck it up & fix the stock one rather than ship another dime to a... nevermind.

If you're a die-hard "modifier" this is not the thread for you. Its just a parts resource.

By the same stroke, if you had a Chevelle SS 396 new in 1967 and you decided to get rid of that stupid speed alarm speedo with the rally gauges in favor of an aluminum plate with some hokey gauge setup, you be kickin yourself in the ~~~ right now. I just picked one up & it was well over $700. Yes stock is not ideal, but maybe (just maybe) it might be better for (my car at least) to stay stock. It is possible, although unlikely much outside of this group, that they may be collectable one day & a bone stock 95 5 speed might be worth keeping that way...

Never know...?
Thanks!

M Randolph
=======
Fallbrook, Khaliforyna (as Arnie would say)
66' Nova SS 283/TH-350
Oh yes, and the 67 Chevelle SS (in pieces)

if you want a car as a investment, get a honda, your gonna be kicking yourself in the ~~~ when you lose a race because you missed a gear. but whatever... your car. i dont think your car is gonna lose value because u replaced the freaking shifter with a better one... will it?

Your probably right. I'm just a little more a&*% retentive. I've always been around classics & my dad has a few that still have the redline tires (including the original spare & trunk mat), the original dealer key tags, and the original seat cover & paper floor mats (a 64 GTO from Hollywood Pontiac). So for me its just preference. But... i'm not that closed minded.

I'll give the B&M a try & see how that feels. In the interim I'll grab the OEM spares just to have... only $50 bucks in all...

I know what you're sayin... and watch the Honda bashing. :) I just parted wih a CRX & I felt like a total Mary driving it, but it still got 37 MPG & outhandled the SC. Although just the inertia through the apex of a turn would get a ride-on lawnmower past a 72 HP CRX. Still, it ran like a raped ape & never gave me a problem.

M Randolph
=======
Fallbrook, Khaliforyna
66' Nova SS 283/TH-350
Oh yes, and the 67 Chevelle SS (in pieces)

Back