Is AOD TV max bad?

1QuikV6

I just adjusted my TV cable to remedy a delay in shifting to Drive and although it shifts higher and shifts into gear like it should, I was wanting to know if leaving it in the max adjustment is bad for the transmission? I have a trans go shift kit and it chirps nice and hard into second and hard into third. Can I leave it in this setting?

Well I set it so that 4th comes in at 50mph instead of 45. Shifts the same firmness as always and the shift delay into drive is gone. its not at its max on the cable, just in the range of motion. The guide says to offset it by 5/16" but I just left it. Just making sure Im not frying something. So its 5/16" out than it says to be.

Lentech told me to adjust the TV cable as tight as possible without restricting wide open throttle. Too tight and it mau pop off and burn up the tranny before you know what happened. Most damage occurs from the cable being too loose or falling off. I've driven my SC like that for several years without any problems.

Don't be suprised if you break the inner shaft on a hard shift into 3rd. It's happened to several people with standard direct drive converters. Get a hardned inner shaft from Lentech or a non locking converter if you want it to hold up.

David

The problems I usually see from running at max tv pressure are roller clutch failure, and spline strippage through the unit. If you have a well built unit it should be able to handle it I do not suggest it on a stock transmission. Having the direct drive removed in the converter definately lightens the blow on the 2-3 and the 3-4.
Alan

Its had the shift kit for quite a while along with new valve bodies. Its always chirped second at moderate to WOT and considering its had the kit and non locker for about 30k miles it seems to be fine thus far. Arent AOD's the stronger of the auto's in the MN12's?

AOD's stronger what gives you that Idea? The only auto transmission in mn-12's are aod up to 93 and 94-97 had 4r70w. For the most part they both have many of the same parts,but at least the 4r70w had a 2 inch overdrive band.
Alan

1QuikV6 said:
Does having a non locking converter help? It was installed with my shift kit

Yes it will soften the shift into third. You shouldn't be making WOT shifts into OD, because it (overdrive band) won't hold up on any AOD.

David

Cant say ive been WOT into 4th. Im always out of overdrive when I'm playing. Besides, 3rd gets you up well into triple digits anyway

I thought it was AOD and AOD-E, then 4R70W. AOD's just dont have electronics, operated soley off of vacuum.

I have a stock AOD w/ lentech valve body calibration 2 and I run it at the max setting so there is no slack in the cable. If I pulled it any tighter it'd keep the throttle blade open.

It shifts into OD at 50 cold and 55 warm. Sometimes it squeeks going into 3rd if I'm at minimal throttle but I haven't determined if its coming from the tranny or if its a belt slipping on the quick drop in rpms. I'm going to change the belts in a week or so and then if its from the tranny I'll back the tv cable down a couple of notches. I don't want to kill the tranny. Right now I have ~~~~~~ tires so they will break loose but w/ sticky's I'm scared I'll kill the input shaft.

New convertor and hardened shaft are on my list of upgrades for this summer.

At 254k miles mine is about due for a rebuild anyway but as far as Im concerned if it aint broke, drive it til it is..... oops I meant dont fix it lol:rolleyes:

I doubt a stock 3.8L with 250k miles is going to do much damage to an AOD of the same mileage. Im probably through the floor on compression :eek: But it doesnt burn oil and shes had synthetic for a little over 200k now. Happy to say that aside from a sqeak out of a protesting bearing on a cold startup occassionally, shes doing great.

If you ever want to put the TV pressure to the specified spec (which i cant recall at the moment) let me know, i bought the gauge with fittings and the extra little tool you need for the end of the cable to adjust the pressure.

David Neibert said:
Lentech told me to adjust the TV cable as tight as possible without restricting wide open throttle. Too tight and it mau pop off and burn up the tranny before you know what happened. Most damage occurs from the cable being too loose or falling off. I've driven my SC like that for several years without any problems.

Don't be suprised if you break the inner shaft on a hard shift into 3rd. It's happened to several people with standard direct drive converters. Get a hardned inner shaft from Lentech or a non locking converter if you want it to hold up.

David

Just found out tonight that my TV cable is preventing the TB linkage from bottoming out. Is this adjusted via the TV line pressure or something else?

pablon2 said:
Just found out tonight that my TV cable is preventing the TB linkage from bottoming out. Is this adjusted via the TV line pressure or something else?

It's adjusted at the throttle linkage by removing a clip.

David

trans

some one stated that an aode was never in the supercoupes it came out in 1993 and then in 1996 or 1997 the 4r70w was introduced that is the same as the aode, except has better gear ratios. the aod also works hydraulically not with vacuum. also almost all of the parts from a aode or 4r70w will fit in the aod.

cko1986 said:
some one stated that an aode was never in the supercoupes it came out in 1993 and then in 1996 or 1997 the 4r70w was introduced that is the same as the aode, except has better gear ratios. the aod also works hydraulically not with vacuum. also almost all of the parts from a aode or 4r70w will fit in the aod.

Supercoupes were equipped with an AOD from 89-93 and a 4R70W from 94-95....correct neither is controlled by vacuum. AOD uses TV cable and RPMS and 4R70W is electronic..

David

ok so i picked up a smashed but running 93 t-bird with a 5.0/aod in it for 100.00 bucks.so that trans will be the same as the one in my 92 sc auto??or no??

Back