Automatic on headlights

lurch256

GM has auto headlights that come on when the key is on for its vehicles (my other car is a Monte, sorry)
Is there an aftermarket sensor or some way to wire it up so it works similar to the chevy system?

I am just used to the auto system and i forget toturn my lights off sometimes.
thanks
Jeremy

Designtech makes a module you hook up to you rignition, battery, gorund, and headlight wires and it turns the headlights on with the ignition, and then leaves them on for 20 seconds after the car is off. It automatically shuts them off afterward.

Check it out here:
http://www.autobarn.net/des20013.html

If you are willing to dismantle the instrument cluster, you can install the OEM autolamp system in your car.
Go to the local u-pull-it junkyard and find a 91-93 T-bird with autolamps (the 89-90 ones have auto-dimming headlights as well as autolamps and so the wiring might be different). Take the headlamp switch (yours probably doesn't have the two additional terminals for the autolamps), the autolamp thumbwheel switch (next to the headlamp switch), the long defroster vent trim piece near the base of the windshield on the driver's side (yours may not have the little grille for the autolamp sensor), the autolamp sensor (a blue box with a square blue lens below the defroster trim piece), the autolamp dual coil relay (a small rectangular black box below the dash on the driver's side), and the wiring harness that connects all the above-mentioned parts.
The wiring harness will have one additional connector that plugs into the car's electrical wiring. Your car will have a jumper plug instead of this harness.
You don't need the instrument cluster bezel since you can cut an opening in it for the autolamp switch. While you're at the junkyard, trace out the opening for the switch on a piece of paper.
You will need a TORX screwdriver for the instrument cluster.

both of them sound like they would solve my problem. the first one seems much much easier, but thanks for the second one. If i want to make it "Original" down the road I can undertake taht task. I has been hard to find any t birds around here in a jukyard.
Thanks again everyone.
Jeremy

Back