saving up to buy a WIDEBAND O2 meter..

darkstar_one

So i am saving 25 bucks a week to buy me a wideband o2 meter. I will be getting the INNOVATION MOTORSPORTs RPM kit which retails around the 400 dollar range. This should be a nice investment.

anyone got any other suggestions... this one looks like it can do alot and the price is not that bad..

LM-1: Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Meter

The LM-1 is the industry's first and best complete wideband tuning system. A single self-contained unit combines a wideband air/fuel ratio sensor controller, a 6-channel data logger, and an easy-to-read backlit LCD display. This is the unit used by tuners, racers, and engine builders the world over.

Tuning an engine for maximum power previously required long trial-and-error sessions on a dynamometer. With the LM-1, precise AFR measurement allows the user to correctly adjust many variables- including carburetor jetting, fuel injection, turbo fuel curves, etc.- without long and expensive dyno sessions. The meter’s digital signal processing technology provides data on exactly how rich or lean an engine is running at any load. The LM-1’s self-calibrating circuitry also compensates for changes in temperature, altitude, and sensor condition.

* World's only fully-digital wideband controller.
* Up to 6 Channels of data logging.
* Portable/ Handheld.
* Display both A/F and Lambda readings in real-time.
* Auto calibration to compensate for changes in temperature, altitude, and sensor condition.
* Two user configurable analog outputs.
* LogWorks - award winning tuning software.

The instrument can sample and store 6 channels of data- air-fuel-ratio and up to 5 other sensor data channels- internally in operation for later analysis on a personal computer. At a sampling rate of 12 samples/second the instrument can store up to 44 minutes worth of data in non-volatile memory. The data can be downloaded to a personal computer using a standard serial port and viewed/analyzed by the included LogWorks software or any standard spreadsheet program:

The LM-1 also features two analog outputs to connect to analog gauges, dyno computers, ECUs, piggyback controllers, and other devices with analog inputs. Analog output 1 comes setup from the factory ready for narrowband simulation; analog output 2 is configured as 1 volt = 10 AFR (.6 lambda) and 2 volts = 20 AFR (1.3 lambda). With the provided LM Programmer software these analog outputs may also be configured by the user.

The RPM Kit ($429) is comprised of the basic kit plus the LMA-2 (RPM Converter.) This cable contains a circuit to convert a tach signal into an analog RPM signal that can be logged by the LM-1. This cable also has 4 additional terminal screws to tap into and log other 0-5 V analog sensors from your vehicle.

this should be a nice investment and will help me tune my car a lil better...

The LM1 with RPM kit is what I use for tuning. This is a nice thing because, for example, once you get some logs done we can trade information nicely and easily. Sometimes it isn't so much which one is absolutely better to the last minute point but having several people with the same tools make collecting, sharing and interpretting information easier.

You won't be dissappointed.

im planning on buying excatly that one and then renting it for maybe 40-50 bucks to off road race shops to tune their engines

Looks like just what the doctor ordered. I have been thinkin REAL SERIOUSLY about just such a device/setup. Guess that is what I will get when I get to that point in a few months.

Like Dave said, the more of us that have the SAME setup for tuning/logging, the better off we ALL will be in terms of sharing info and helping each other to figure out how to use them and what works best.

thats what i was thinking too... to rent it to so serious peeps around here who want to tune their engine.... should help too passing smog... well thanks for the support and that is kool that we can share info.... cant wait to use it on mine but its gonna be like a month before i have the money for it... so i cant wait...

Last edited:
im thinking of getting AUXBOX too so i can tap into some sensors and check their readings? DAVE have u tried the auxbox?

The AuxBox attaches to the auxiliary input of the LM-1 and allows a user to log and analyze 5 critical engine metrics in addition to the air/fuel ratio native on the LM-1. The AuxBox makes the LM-1 into a complete tuning kit, allowing the user to capture, view, and analyze data on all 6 channels that the LM-1 can log internally. Correlating AFR, RPM, MAP, and CHT, for example, is essential when tuning piggy-back fuel controllers, ECU programmers, aftermarket ECUs, or racing carburetors.

The 5 internal sensors are intended for capturing Manifold Air Pressure (MAP or Boost), Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) or Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), RPM conversion (from a tach signal or inductive clamp), Acceleration, and Injector Duty Cycle (or Dwell). The internal MAP sensor is a 3-bar absolute pressure sensor, providing accurate data up to 44.1 PSIA. The temperature measurement circuit features a K-type thermocouple. The internal accelerometer features 2 axis measurements for a variety of mounting options.

Another key application of the AuxBox is road testing. Even a dyno doesn’t provide as much real data as road testing. Factors like air flow, side force, and load vary significantly on a real road. With an AuxBox, a user can log 6 channels, in multiple sessions, for up to 44 minutes. Then, back at the garage, simply connect the LM-1 to you PC and view all of you log data. Use LogWorks to view fuel mapping, perform statistical analysis, overlay graphs, and playback a log on the virtual gauges. You can also view realtime data on LogWorks’ gauges if you want to take your laptop on the road.

The AuxBox also includes 5 external inputs for connecting external sensors in lieu of the internal sensors. This allows users to log data from external sensors like TPS or suspension data.

Lm1

I have the LM1 and RPM converter as well. They both have been a great tool. After having it, I would never run my car without a wide band 02. I also bought the analog a/f gauge that innovate offers as well and put it in my gauge pod.

With the RPM converter, you can log any 5 volt source such as temperature sensors, maf voltage, and so on. I currently log rpm by tapping into one of the injectors at the eec harness, coolant temperature, ACT temperature, MAF voltage, and just recently added a GM 3 bar MAP sensor so I can log boost as well.

Overall it is a great tool for tuning as well as racing.

You might want to search, this has been brought up before. From personal suggestions I will be going FJO. :)

Toms-SC said:
You might want to search, this has been brought up before. From personal suggestions I will be going FJO. :)

Hey Tom if you interested I may be selling the connectivity kit for the FJO that will allow you to datalog from your palm pilot.. Since I went Autronic in my Talon I can just hook it up and datalog it thru the laptop instead.. Lemme know..

PS - To those of you who are thinking of renting it out to serious off road race shops for tuning.. If they do not have a wideband already to use for tuning then they are not a race shop ;)

I too have the LM-1 and I also have the XD-16 permantly installed on my dash so I have a reading of wide band at all times. The sensor is good for 60+ thousand miles so I'll get a new one when I need it. Works great and the computer sits under my seat wide band cable going through the floor pan into the 3 in single pipe.

Has anyone ever tried the R500 from PLX?

I never really see anyone talk about it too much. I kind of like some of the features on it.

I have the M500, not 100% up and running yet. I broke an input shaft right after I got it installed...

But fastsc92 uses the M500 also, and with great results.

Last edited:
I run an AEM wideband gauge. I had it connected to my piggyback engine management prior to getting rid of it. It worked very nice, but I really don't have any means of logging with it now.

I'll be getting a different style of engine management soon so hopefully that'll be resolved.

For you guys I wouldn't recommend the AEM.

KwikGSeX said:
Hey Tom if you interested I may be selling the connectivity kit for the FJO that will allow you to datalog from your palm pilot.. Since I went Autronic in my Talon I can just hook it up and datalog it thru the laptop instead.. Lemme know..

PS - To those of you who are thinking of renting it out to serious off road race shops for tuning.. If they do not have a wideband already to use for tuning then they are not a race shop ;)

then ill rent it to rice shops :D

pfft, the rice shop that sponsors me has EVERYTHING. Full out machine shop, dyno, etc etc.

Rent out a wideband, lmao.

well since i live down here in mexico , not everyone has a wideband o2 laying arounds, heck most shops dont even sponsor cars down here.

The AuxBox makes a lot of sense, especially with the no go on laptops in cars at the NHRA strips anymore.

sounds like a group buy may be possible.

Back