piston slap

blownbird2

HI to all 93 sc 115k does anybody else have a piston slap problem??????? it only does it when it's cold thought it was a knock at first but everything makes my believe P/S

MATT

Unless you have some abnormal wear in the motor, piston slap at 115k miles would be unusual. At 180k my sc didn't have any slap and the factory cross hatching was still visible in the cylinders.

blownbird2 said:
HI to all 93 sc 115k does anybody else have a piston slap problem??????? it only does it when it's cold thought it was a knock at first but everything makes my believe P/S

MATT
Matt, I will be in Staten Island sometime Monday the 8th and leaving the 10th. If you want, I can probably take a look at it for you while I am there. My # is below.

Paul

I used to have a cold knock on my stock motor. I started hearing it at about 40K miles and it was there right up until I changed headgaskets at 140K miles. After that it was gone and right up to now at 200K miles it has never made that noise again. My machinist said it might have been carbon. When carbon heats up it softens.

I always thought it was piston slap too but from what I've seen of SC motors and how they don't wear the cylinder walls badly, I'd say that the only way you'd get any slap out of a piston would be if a skirt was broken.

BT Motorsports said:
Matt, I will be in Staten Island sometime Monday the 8th and leaving the 10th. If you want, I can probably take a look at it for you while I am there. My # is below.

Paul
Thats my friend i hang with out here, Im not too sure if i would say its so much as piston slap. and its only like the first startup in the morning.

Paul you gonna have your SC out here?

Mike8675309 said:
Unless you have some abnormal wear in the motor, piston slap at 115k miles would be unusual. At 180k my sc didn't have any slap and the factory cross hatching was still visible in the cylinders.

Just replaced Heads+Gaskets on my 89 with 196k and cross hatching was present in my motor too.....
paul

Same problem.

blownbird2 said:
MATT

I have 91 Ford SC, rebuilt motor 2000 mi engine developed knock.

plastigauged journals. Rods ok, had crank measured ok, replaced timing chain, replaced lifters, replaced rocker arms, replaced rod bearings, and re-installed engine I still have knock. I also had bores measured, piston pins checked, and pistons measured

sounds just like a bearing knock, and I cant figure what the problem is

I will run it till it breaks. I have alot of time and cash invested, but it really burns my gluteus maximus.

BT Motorsports said:

Paul
that would be great paul thanks hopefully me and vinny{trife86} will catch u on monday or tuesday

matt

Back