Need help.......Again!

T-bird Tim

Today the car just started acting up, no warning at all. It drove fine coming to work but when I got into it to go home; It was idling very rough. The engine jerking back and forth was shaking the whole car. CEL came on so I drove it to auto zone for a scan and the only code they gave me was a bad coolant temp sensor. The gauge says the car is running at normal temps. And besides that, I know a temp sensor wont kill the performance and make it feel like it's running on four cylinders. I put new plugs and wires on it two months ago. It's missing fiercely. Any ideas?

Vacume

Since I had the cam and head work done, the vacume has always been around 10", It seems to read ok on the gauge. The wires came from auto zone and the plugs are auto lite.

T-bird Tim said:
Since I had the cam and head work done, the vacume has always been around 10", It seems to read ok on the gauge. The wires came from auto zone and the plugs are auto lite.

10 is WAY low for a stock cam what type of cam do you have

T-bird Tim said:
It drove fine coming to work but when I got into it to go home; It was idling very rough. The engine jerking back and forth was shaking the whole car.

When you got into it maybe a vacume line blew off under boost. Check the big one behind the intake plenum. I had that happen to me once,get some small tieraps and tierap all the vacume lines to keep it from happening again

T-bird Tim said:
Today the car just started acting up, no warning at all. It drove fine coming to work but when I got into it to go home; It was idling very rough. The engine jerking back and forth was shaking the whole car. CEL came on so I drove it to auto zone for a scan and the only code they gave me was a bad coolant temp sensor. The gauge says the car is running at normal temps. And besides that, I know a temp sensor wont kill the performance and make it feel like it's running on four cylinders. I put new plugs and wires on it two months ago. It's missing fiercely. Any ideas?

Replace the temp sensor. Not the one for the gauge, the one for the EEC.

David

Could the sensor be bad and telling the eec the motor is over heating, David? I was wondering if that could be his problem.

DIS Harness?

Try messing around with your DIS harness while it's running. I've had the same problem before. Or you could pull your plug wires off at the coil pack and see which ones of them make a difference in how it runs. The ones that don't will be the ones that aren't firing. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and let us know what works and what it ends up being. Take care,

J

hope you find and fix your problem

my car has been doind the same thing since i bought in in november of 05.

i unplugged the MAF and it runs twice as long, with more gas and little less poewer, but it still happens, the car shdders, the car feeels powerless, and sounds like a helocopter or a motorcycle. the psi gauge jumps around, and so does the idle, but this onyl happens after the car warms up.

i have the fan running all the time now, and today im installing a 160 tsat. plugin my MAF back in, and seeing what happens. i dont car if i run a little rich, i want it to run thats all, and not get hot every 20 miles or so.
god thing i work 3 miles away.

This sounds so familiar. Mine only does it when it warms up to normal operating temperature. It also sounds and vibrates like a helicopter. I replaced temp sending unit yesterday (the one for the computer). Still didnt fix it. I took it to the shop today, I'm going to see if they can figure it out. I will let yall know what the problem was in case it can help anyone else.

seriously...

Try the DIS harness. I know it sounds like a stretch, but I went through the exact same thing and it turned out to be my DIS harness..the one that connects to both sides of your DIS module. I've had two distinct symptoms with the DIS harness. 1) Complete no start and 2) the shuttering, running on 3 cylinders, stalling, not taking the gas when you "get on it" thing. Seriously..give it a shot..wouldn't take you but 4 seconds to at least try it. Hope this helps..

J

problem solved

Car is fixed and was something simple. The little plastic lock clips that keep the fuel injector harness clipped to the injector had broken. Over time it had gotten brittle from the heat under the hood. I was running on five cylinders. You guys with this similar problem check yours out, maybe it will help.

Back