Aftermarket thermostat housing?

Allan

Has anyone used a 5.0L aftermarket t-stat housing (water outlet) and modified it for our engine? Both engines use the same style t-stat & gasket. Figured that a modified Mr. Gasket housing w/ O-ring seal would be nice. Would need cutting and welding, though.

-Allan

Nobody has tried something like this?

Well, I'm givin' it a shot. Purchased a Mr. Gasket O-ring housing (p/n 2662) on sale at Advance Auto for $9.99. Used a hand-held bandsaw to cut off the pipe portion at the 45* angle. Removed the chrome near the cut on both the pipe and housing with a wire wheel. Tomorrow I'll have the pipe welded back on 180* from where it was so it will point straight out.

This all came about from the failure of my T-stat gasket. Read here about the stamped-steel factory housing issue. I'd like to change the stat & gasket once and be done with it.

If it doesn't work, I'm only out ten bucks. I'll post my results and pictures.

-Allan

Excellent Paul. With the age of this SC community, I figured that someone had this problem already solved. Hopefully my plan works for me. If it does, I might have a core for you.

-Allan

Paul, do you have any pics of what you change? I'm curious because I've never had any problems getting mine to seal but I have a trick for it. I also grind the flange flat cuz I know they tend to warp. Just wondering what you are doing to them maybe I'll send you one to fix for me. I have snapped the vent tube off two of them cuz the bolt rusts in there.

No, I do not have any pics. I cut the old flange off and install the pipes in a jig then weld them to a CNC cut steel plate that will not warp. The result is a flat surface with all components remaining in the stock location.

Paul

I just did my thermostat about oh three times, both times It leaked. First time was gasekt and silicone on one side, then second time was just all silicone and the third time which appears to be working is, lots of silicone on both sides with the gasket in between so far so good :confused:

I ripped half the engine apart and the damn thermostat gave me a problem lol.

ive been using thick gasket paper and cutting my own,using black"right stuff" on each side,it will leak after a year or so,but by then i dont mind doing it.ive tried everything,including a new housing and it would always seep out! piss poor design i guess

No welding today. Found out it was aluminum instead of steel. Hopefully it will be tig-welded tomorrow.

-Allan

Back