Plugging coolant line to early TB...what to use as plug?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
When i re-did my engine I plugged the heater core coolant line where its supposed to feed the throttle body. I used a small rubber cap and it recently sprang a leak. I guess the rubber becomes real brittle after a few heating cycles. I replaced it again and in three days...it started leaking again.

What have you guys used that works? Dont wanna have to change that entire coolant line for a later one that doesnt have that pesky outlet. Thanx!

CaifanSC said:
When i re-did my engine I plugged the heater core coolant line where its supposed to feed the throttle body. I used a small rubber cap and it recently sprang a leak. I guess the rubber becomes real brittle after a few heating cycles. I replaced it again and in three days...it started leaking again.

What have you guys used that works? Dont wanna have to change that entire coolant line for a later one that doesnt have that pesky outlet. Thanx!

I am so glad u posted this! Just did my HG's and cut that part out too.....
I was going to do the same thing, now I'm gunna leave it as-is!
I clipped the hose at each end, left 3-4 inches of it on the outlets cuz it wasnt coming off easily for me, then,
I used (believe it or not) 2 of the 3 Hex Screws that held the old brake master halves together before I converted to regular brakes to block the remaining lines .... And some screw-type hose clamps with no leaking thus far. Didnt even use a sealant....System is airtight.

paul

thirdbird said:
I am so glad u posted this! Just did my HG's and cut that part out too.....
I was going to do the same thing, now I'm gunna leave it as-is!
I clipped the hose at each end, left 3-4 inches of it on the outlets cuz it wasnt coming off easily for me, then,
I used (believe it or not) 2 of the 3 Hex Screws that held the old brake master halves together before I converted to regular brakes to block the remaining lines .... And some screw-type hose clamps with no leaking thus far. Didnt even use a sealant....System is airtight.

paul

Make that a deuce. I just took some screws that I didn't need anymore (EGR) and plugged them with those. Then clamped the hose around them.

If you follow that line around the back of the engine it mates back to the heater core line. So instead of plugging it at the throttle it wouldnt hurt to plug it where it loops back around under the IC pipes.

Thanx for the replies guys...but i have a question. Im assuming taht you put the bolts in the rubber hose and then just clamped them right? I dont think i can do taht since i took all those hoses out and the tube thats leaking its metal. For some reason I ended up using the stock one for the passingers side and I ended up deleting the rest of the tubes...so i dotn have the one that goes through the back, and in the drivers side I used the tube from a later model that didnt have that exit for the rear tube.

I guess an option would be to add a hose, clamp it down in the metal tube, then use the bolt as a plug on the rubber hose.

I welded the the small nipple off on the larger metal line on the drivers side.
And then rerouted the thermostat heater hose dirrect to the heater core.

I still have the oil cooler, and the cars heater lines.Just weld off the
throttle body lines.

I know this most likly does not make sence but its the best I can do.
You will never have a problem with filling in the rubber hose metal
connections for the throttle body. After painting you can not
tell there was ever a throttle body line was there.

Randy

Back