Are 5 speed driveshaft yolks different?

Tony8470

I had 2 five speed driveshafts. One was crimped together, one was solid. The yolks on each were different. Will one not mate to certain transmissions? Im having a hell of a time getting my crimped driveshaft into another tranny that came with the solid one. It will go in. But wont slide all the way in (1" space), so I can lift the rear of it to the differential.

Problem is, I just got rid of my old solid one so I cant compare, hoping someone knows offhand. So I can retrieve the solid one if necessary.

What is your over all length of your drive shaft.....

I have two spares here at my shop in NC.....

Tony8470 said:
I had 2 five speed driveshafts. One was crimped together, one was solid. The yolks on each were different. Will one not mate to certain transmissions? Im having a hell of a time getting my crimped driveshaft into another tranny that came with the solid one. It will go in. But wont slide all the way in (1" space), so I can lift the rear of it to the differential.

Problem is, I just got rid of my old solid one so I cant compare, hoping someone knows offhand. So I can retrieve the solid one if necessary.

I got my driveshaft back luckily. YES there is a difference between 5-speed driveshafts, I dont know what years but I figured I would end what I started.

Straight vs Crimped

My '89 crimped drive shaft worked fine with the '94 5-spd I put in.

I've never seen an OEM 5-spd drive shaft, that wasn't crimped. What yrs got them?

68COUGAR

I have no idea, but mine is solid. The yoke has no teeth for the first 1 1/2" and there is a cv joint like this one. There is also a rubber isolator on the yoke like the shifter handle has.

Back