Crank Pulley Wobble

Silver R

Took my 90 Sc to have a new crank sensor installed yesterday. Car runs but now I have a wobble in my crank pulley! I asked machanic if he remove the pulley to install sensor and he said yes. Is the wobble a bad sign of a messed up balancer or does the pulley need to be reinstalled? Any comments and help welcomed.:confused: :(

Silver R said:
Took my 90 Sc to have a new crank sensor installed yesterday. Car runs but now I have a wobble in my crank pulley! I asked machanic if he remove the pulley to install sensor and he said yes. Is the wobble a bad sign of a messed up balancer or does the pulley need to be reinstalled? Any comments and help welcomed.:confused: :(

Sounds like the mechanic either forgot to put the center bolt in, or it snapped, or the balancer was improperly reinstalled.... I would have that looked at ASAP.:eek:

paul

Thanks for the reply. I hope it's just one of the bolts. I didn't have this problem before the install of the crank sensor.

If you look around the site, you will find that the leading cause of crank sensor failure is harmonic balancer chewing it up. If your pulley is wobbling, I would seriously check out the balancer before it chews up your new sensor, or breaks off from your crank. The pulley is hard mounted to this balancer, so if its wobbling, your balancer is probably shot. :(

sounds like the mechanic didn't align the pulley right when installing. If you remove the bolts and realign the pulley you should be able to get it mounted correctly. there are 4 bolts but one is offset just a bit. If you don't hold the pulley tight against the HB, it is possible to assemble loose and DRAW in it (the wrong position). Over time, this will pull the metal around the "bad" bolt and it will wobble.

sounds like he might not have lined the crank pulley up right. one hole is offset than the others so check to be sure its on right..

Back