the SC needs lots of work

operation rob

i took the new to me SC to a garage to see if anything was wrong with it/if it needed anything. heres the 2 seperate lists...

things it needs in general but not nessasary:
4 front lateral bushings
clutch (it pushes so hard hes afraid it's going to break off the firewall, it's supposedly "high performance" but it wouldnt push that hard)
leaks oil like a mofo
water pump
intake gasket
front rotors
right rear caliper locked up on him when he pulled the ebrake

and stuff it needs to pass inspection which would be a $1057 bill...
left rear wheel bearing
right rear caliper
water pump
lower control arm
valve stem
and antifreeze for the water pump.

how hard is it to install all of that stuff?? i am 16 and dont have much mechanical skill with cars. i have been working on small motors (briggs and stratton 5 horse) since i was little, and i have completely taken apart a 2 stroke motor and put it back together (and for those of you who have bikes, yes, the case too.) so is there anything i would be able to do myself? or would i just be better of spending the money and having my mechanic do it?

operation rob said:
would i just be better of spending the money and having my mechanic do it?

yes.
assuming you have deep pockets my friend!
If I wasnt able to work on cars I would be driving a Toyota.
Welcome!

paul

Based on some of the stuff you said need REPLACED I'm doubting the truthfulness of your tech.

The front rotors can be cut. they dont need replaced. Thats about $30.
Intake gasket? How many things did he take off to even see it. Its near impossible to see any intake gaskets besides the intercooler with everything in place. I could go on.........Take it to another tech and see what they say.....and dont tell them a damn thing the other tech said. The less they see, the more money you keep.

Paul is very right, these cars are cheap, but require deep pockets, and anyone that states otherwise has never thrown a wrench to these cars.

Tony8470 said:
Based on some of the stuff you said need REPLACED I'm doubting the truthfulness of your tech.

The front rotors can be cut. they dont need replaced. Thats about $30.
Intake gasket? How many things did he take off to even see it. Its near impossible to see any intake gaskets besides the intercooler with everything in place. I could go on.........Take it to another tech and see what they say.....and dont tell them a damn thing the other tech said. The less they see, the more money you keep.

Paul is very right, these cars are cheap, but require deep pockets, and anyone that states otherwise has never thrown a wrench to these cars.
yeah, the rotors just need to be turned, and the gasket i would do myself. the top list is stuff that needs to be done in the future, and the bottom list is stuff that needs to be done for inspection.

operation rob said:
how hard is it to install all of that stuff?? i am 16 and dont have much mechanical skill with cars.

I remember when I was 16 I got a 64 1/2 Mustang with a 289 for a couple hundred bucks. Needless to say it didn't run and the first thing I had todo was figure out why the generator didn't charge. Next thing was install new headers because the old ones had rusted out. The next thing after that was pull the heads because of a coolant leak.

It took 6-8 months but I finally tamed the car to the point that it could be counted on to start and get you where you were going. Then a friend stuffed it into a tree for me and thereby teaching me another lesson, but that's another story.

The point is that I didn't know squat about how to work on a car, didn't know anyone who could help, but it had to be done so I dove in and did what I could. Learned a lot along the way along with many lessons still useful today. SO it follows that I think you should try do the needed work yourself. None of it is particularly exacting, more time-consuming than anything else. Plus you've got us for questions. :)

Parker Dean said:
I remember when I was 16 I got a 64 1/2 Mustang with a 289 for a couple hundred bucks. Needless to say it didn't run and the first thing I had todo was figure out why the generator didn't charge. Next thing was install new headers because the old ones had rusted out. The next thing after that was pull the heads because of a coolant leak.

It took 6-8 months but I finally tamed the car to the point that it could be counted on to start and get you where you were going. Then a friend stuffed it into a tree for me and thereby teaching me another lesson, but that's another story.

The point is that I didn't know squat about how to work on a car, didn't know anyone who could help, but it had to be done so I dove in and did what I could. Learned a lot along the way along with many lessons still useful today. SO it follows that I think you should try do the needed work yourself. None of it is particularly exacting, more time-consuming than anything else. Plus you've got us for questions. :)
haha, that sounds like my dad's story. bought a POS mustang, took it all apart, fixed it all up, and smashed it into a tree a month or two later and the steering column knocked his front teeth out. he said that he would be more than willing to work on the car if it was like a 1960s or 70s, but he has no clue ~~~ any of the stuff is now.

Back