PDA

View Full Version : Cool Swap!

xThunderbirdSCx
05-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Ok guys, i was reading my car and driver when i came across an ad for the Factory Five roadster. http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/roadster/roadsterkit.html

How cool would it be to swap an SC engine and tranny into there, and use the 8.8 rear ends? Awesome looking car with SC power!!!

and for only a shade under 13k you can have the whole car minus the driveline which can be taken out of a donor SC?

What do you guys think?

racecougar
05-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Quite a few of the factory 5 guys are already running MN12 based IRS. As a matter of fact, most of the complete rear end assemblies that I've sold have gone to guys that were building factory 5 cars.

-Rod

S_Mazza
05-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Rob, how much does a complete subframe (subframe, diff, halfshafts, control arms, hubs, brakes) go for? Is that something you would be willing to crate up and ship? I am trying to weight some options for a rear suspension rebuild.

racecougar
05-04-2006, 06:43 PM
S_Mazza, I sent you a PM.

-Rod

tbird88
05-05-2006, 09:36 AM
There are some odd swap out there, this is one of my customers that put the SC engine in a Ferrari kit car.

'bird

racecougar
05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Speaking of cool swaps, there is a guy over at modular depot that stuck a roots blown 4.6L DOHC engine into a T-bucket. I believe his screenname over there is Arrowhead.

-Rod

SC Spyder
05-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Wayne, here is a shot of the engine sitting in the chassis as I mock up the mounts. The only real issue so far is the power steering pump bracket had to go so the steering shaft would clear, the fire wall had to be relieved to clear the supercharger and associated plumbing and the jack shaft assembly will be raised about 2 inches so the pully will clear the frame rail.

The wiring harness is hanging in the basement while I strip out things like cruise control, abs and shock wiring. the harness is certinally getting lighter.

I expect to be sending you the manifolds here shortly.

Maybe I'll post a log and more photos on my web site when final assembly starts.

Doug

Coast to Coast SC
05-05-2006, 01:19 PM
They use the SC knuckles, cv's and center section. Most of them switch to the Mustang hub for wheel choice.

Anthony

repoman27
05-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Rob, how much does a complete subframe (subframe, diff, halfshafts, control arms, hubs, brakes) go for? Is that something you would be willing to crate up and ship? I am trying to weight some options for a rear suspension rebuild.

I bought one for $300 from a local salvage yard with 67K miles. They vary in price depending on gear ratio, whether or not is a trac lok, and disc or drum brakes.