loss of power ?

Spider

:( well i fully paid for the car now and i took it on the freeway and threw emissions and it passed. but I'm starting ot notice my power is going away. i can barely get a slight screech noise when i hit the gas going around a corner from dead stop. ? any ideas ? when i was test driving my car in the past i could light the tires no problem at all . spin the tires and make a turn and they just kept spinning from all the power. now i got nothing.

when id hit the gas on the freeway i saw a boost up to 7 now it seems to almost not be there... what could have happen ?

i made a video here but when i convert MOV to AVI i cant get it to play the sound so the movie is silent but you can see the RPM's and boost gauge

http://media.putfile.com/no-boost-

check for vac leaks, plugs, wires, you know the usual.

also check out the cool search function on these boards, it helps alot!

Spider said:
when id hit the gas on the freeway i saw a boost up to 7 now it seems to almost not be there... what could have happen ?

The answer is in the question.
You have a boost/vaccum leak someplace.
Some guys are reporting that they get hoses in/around the plenums that blow off their fittings from boost.

paul

thirdbird said:
The answer is in the question.
You have a boost/vaccum leak someplace.
Some guys are reporting that they get hoses in/around the plenums that blow off their fittings from boost.

paul

ok ill check that. i did give it a quik look thoe and didnt see anything but ill look again ?

did anyone look at the video ? does it look liek theres a problem from what can be seen ?

everything else should be good since i jsut did all this.
ran perfect after i did all this but now... ill check for poped off hoses.
its my daily drive now and only car since i sold my corsica yesterday :rolleyes:

so i really need to get this problem fixed :(

Fuel Filter
HeaterCore
Valve Cover Gaskets
Intake Manifold Gaskets
3 New Gaterback Belts
Double Platinum Spark Plugs
New Plug Wires
Synthetic Power Stearing Fluid
K&N Filter Recharged
New Thermostat
New Viton Supercharger Snout Seal with Snap Ring
Replaced Throttle Body And Plenium Gasket
K&N Oil Filter
Wiper Blades
Filled Motor Oil With Royal Purple 10-40w
Small Heater Hose Bypassed it From Throttle Body
ReSealed All The IC Tubes
Sealed the Top with Anaerobic Gasket Maker
New SuperCharger Fluid
Installed New Antenna
Changed Rear Differential Fluid With Royal Purple
:D

Ouch, if i couldnt get my 12 psi of boost... i think i'd cry. Did you check the supercharger belt? A friend of mine with a GTP had probs with his slipping because he swapped the pulley. Check to make sure the sc bypass isn't stuck open or something.

G'luck w/ it
-Nick

ok i just took it for a test drive and i think i found the problem. HEAT !

when i parked my car under the hood was very hot like sitting in front of a really hot heater or campfire, but the temp gauge goes up and sits between the R and the M and never goes past. and i noticed the cover on my Air box was almost to hot to touch.

3 1/2 hours later the TOP is still pretty hot, to hot to lean my arm on but everything is much cooler. so i take it for a test drive and hit the gas and Wooooooop all my power is back.

so my only guess is it was so HOT under the hood because this motor basically has to room to Breath at all its just getting to HOT and loosing all its power.
i also have a Bra Installed on the front of my car not sure if that would make things hotter or not.

what could i do cheaply to help cool my motor and get so more fresh air under the hood. ?

not sure what my boost was when i just drove it i forgot to look :p

If this is a recurring problem, try cleaning the MAF wires. They could have excess oil on them from the recent filter recharge.

Your video was made while the car was in neutral. All SC's do that same thing. Boost needs acceleration/gas/pedal to build. 0.5 seconds of gas won't do a thing. Hence why a lot of these guys can't even get max boost in first gear, they're not in it long enough.

Not sure about your heat problem. Is your radiator full? Fan kick on when it gets hot? Try flushing your rad and adding water wetter or just new fluid?

Last edited:
JStudrawa said:
Your video was made while the car was in neutral. All SC's do that same thing. Boost needs acceleration/gas/pedal to build. 0.5 seconds of gas won't do a thing. Hence why a lot of these guys can't even get max boost in first gear, they're not in it long enough.

Not sure about your heat problem. Is your radiator full? Fan kick on when it gets hot? Try flushing your rad and adding water wetter or just new fluid?

cool thanks for the tip, thats very helpful on learning about how these SC work. I'm gonna flush the system and add some coolant and some additive. later this week.
but the temp Gage seems to be reading correctly its just the under hood temp that seems to be killing my car. I'm thinking maybe the bra was restricting to much air or something. not getting enough circulation. i think mybee i shoudl cut a hole in my hood and put soem hood scoops on.

i took a picture of my MAF, is this considered dirty or normal ? i dont think this would be cause my under the hood to to be to hot thoe...
my car is still fast when its cool but once i been driving for about 20 Min's or its just to hot no fresh air to breath. especially since the air filter box was almost to hot to touch so it must have been sucking in to hot of air I'm thinking

3maf.jpg

2maf.jpg

1maf.jpg

you still need to remove the IC and all IC tubes and put Copper RTV sealant (or TBIRD88 gaskets) on there and reinstall and tighten ALL BOLTS TIGHTLY. That is where most vac leaks originate from.

There is a section on the lower bra part that blocks air flow, just under where the center of the hood closes. Is you exhaust stock? Could be a clogged cat. Mine lost power and wouldn't even do a power brake burn out when one of the cats was clogged. That could also make your engine run hotter as well.

i will put my bra back on after i wax it this weekend and take pictures.
i do have a stock exhaust and that bend in the Cat it retarded. is there a way to test the flow on my exhaust to see if my Cats are flowing the way there supose to ?

xThunderbirdSCx said:
you still need to remove the IC and all IC tubes and put Copper RTV sealant (or TBIRD88 gaskets) on there and reinstall and tighten ALL BOLTS TIGHTLY. That is where most vac leaks originate from.

i checked them all the way around and i got a perfect seal. the black stuff i used it nicely fitted to IC tubes and all the way around is slight squished out. i put them on dry after a 24 hour cure, basically a better way to seal next to using a reusable gasket. the black stuff ir stronger and more like a black tuff rubber instead of orange squishy rubber.
i suppose i could check it anyway just for the hell of it, i test with propane right ? how much propane do i need coming out to have enough fumes to do the test ?

Last edited:
Back