Suspension Question

Billabong089

Currently my car makes a horrible front end noise, it clunks and going over bumps is just scary, sounds like something will fall out or break.

So I just bought Two upper control arms w/ball joints and lower ball joints as well as sway bar end link assemblies.

What else should I do and/or replace while I got things apart? Unlike my last project all of this needs to be in a one day outing so I want to get all the parts and get it done.

thanks for the help.

ive heard that Tie Rod ends make noise when they go, and shock mounts too, but in your case fix it w/what u already bought and see first....What id do.

paul

my tbird started off that way, making a clunking noise in the front end when driving. turns out that the upper ball joints were bad... shocks were collapsed, lower ball joints were bad...

in the end i just ended up replacing everything in the front end and wasnt really all that expensive...

all prices approx...

upper control arms: $65 each (included bushings)
lower control arms: $60 each (included all bushingins except strut arm bushingshttp://www.sccoa.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=525429
strut arm bushings: $40 per side.. (autozone had them as seperates for the bushing going to the LCA and as a full set for the bushings to the frame)
shocks KYB GR2 $60 each
sway bar link kit $47

the job didnt take all that much time to do it, just took me a while to get around to do it with dealing with all sorts of trauma and drama that is my life

if you want any advice tips or help with the job, let me know

check your strut rod bushings.(the arm that goes from the frame to the middle of the lower control arm). the bushings go bad and allow the suspension to move front to back when braking, accelerating, or hitting bumps. good luck.

If you buy the correct SC lower control arms (TRW 10771 and 10772) they come with the strut rod bushings.

They should come with the strut rod bushings, but occasionally they don't. I bought one of each, and one had the bushing and one didn't. :confused:

xr7rocket said:
If you buy the correct SC lower control arms (TRW 10771 and 10772) they come with the strut rod bushings.

If you go that route, make sure they are the polyurethane ones, otherwise don't waste the extra cash. Just having poly strut rod bushings will do worlds for your response....
I have them, and am quite pleased...

paul

Last edited:
I got the same problem in my 93 Cougie. The problem... the lower control arm bushings, as mention before in the thread..the front torsion bar vibrates in the worn bushing. Call the dealer $360.00 for both..got them on ebay for $90.00 NEW with the bushings and ball joints.

Back