Low RPM?

Rican3kgt

My dad has a 1990 SC stock and wanted me to ask about his rpms he states that when steppin on clutch/or going in neutral goes to 1200 RPM which is assuming normal and when is at stop first goes to 800RPM which is assuming is normal and then drops even lower to 600RPM..he wanted to know if there is a sensor or something that needs replacing...thank you

That sounds normal. When you're rolling with the car in neutral or with the clutch in it will idle at around 1200 RPMs. I believe this is so the accessories (power steering, alternator, etc.) are still turning fast enough to be making max power, which could be needed while the car is moving (namely power steering.) Pretty much any car with a manual transmission will do that. The idle at stop that you describe sounds normal also. I'm not sure why it has that little step from 800 to normal idle at around 600, but mine has always done that too. So long as it does it smoothly you should have nothing to worry about.

my ligths dim at nigth when it starts to idle low, i also have a amp and bass box , so when cruising , or going really slow and using the sound system my ligths dim even more.

need capacitors to keep the lights from dimming.

My 5-speed does that too when its moving. It idles around 1200 until I stop completely and then it idles down to around 600. If I have the defrost or AC on it idles higher to compensate for the drag from the a/c compressor being engaged.

I figured it had something to do with the speed sensor being read so it wouldn't go back to normal idle until the speed sensor read 0. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

Back