94 SC problem, can anyone help ??

torino1973

Hello everyone,
I'm hoping someone will share an idea with me about what is wrong with my car. I have a 94 SC with 69,000 miles everything was original at the beginning of my mystery. I garage it in the winter, driving around the block once in awhile when it's nice out. One time while backing it into the garage on a routine "around the block" run the car went from running perfect to stumbling to stalling never to start again. Now ,months later, the car will almost start (it's so close). Here's what I've done so far: New correctly gapped plugs, wires, fuel filter (air is a K&N panel), DIS module, cam and crank sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, and I tried a used coil pack and MAF unit off of a stated working car.
The engine will go from turning normal to almost running as the starter is turning it to turning very slow (like a timing issue). These events happen very sporatically. The EEC code only reads The "air charge temp. being out of range. Fuel pressure is consistently @ 38psi in the rail. I've soaked the plugs numerous times while trying to start the engine pulling, cleaning, and drying them with each event. In fear I might of washed out cylinders I did compression checks that revealed 5/6 cylinders reading about 130 and one cylinder reading 95. I've tried everything I could think of even some things that were "grasping at straws". I'm going to drain the gas and start with fresh gas..again "grasping at straws" I don't know what else to do. This car has always run PERFECT!!
Can anybody tell me whats wrong with this car ???? I'm just stumped at this point.
Thanks,
Fred
torino1973@hotmail.com

****PS: I pumped some gas into a glass jar, It looked and smelled normal with no water seperation,( this happens to be the exact gas I stored my 88 Bird with no problems) therefore I don't think it's a gas problem.

No Start

Check the damper. I had a broken damper with a tight bolt and it wasn't apparent 'till I removed the bolt and it fell into my hands. Same symptom's.

No start 94 SC

Thanks for the info. Everything seemed tight with the bolt in place and no visible wabbling so I never looked any further into that, now I will.
Fred

Nice to see another Torino guy on here!!!

I had a 72, and was thinking about buying it back. But I think I'll wait til gas goes up more and then lowball him. LOL

Anyways, good luck with your problem Fred!

It's been many years since I had the 73 Torino, I loved the car , drove it for about 5 years. Get that 72 back if you can....they're a good car. Thanks for the reply.

I had a 76 torino but always wanted a early fast back. Another thing to check is for good spark and remember that 2 plugs fire at the same time with our ignition systems. You could have a bad crank sensor also.

I do have spark, I did not know about the 2 plug thing Thanks for the info. I'm going to pull the the crank balancer next.
The 76 reminds me of Harsky and Stutch. LOL
Fred

Could be the camshaft sensor, or the icm. I had a problem with my 93, where it would run for about ten minutes, then die. Waiting ten minutes would result in the car starting again. While not the exact problem you are having, if I tried starting the car without waiting, I got the same problems you are having. Replacing the camshaft sensor fixed it.

Low compression on one cylinder

Well not to be the bearer of bad news but if you have 130 lbs of compression on several cylinders and 95 on another that is not good! There shouldn't be more than a 10% variance in compression over all the cylinders. Not saying this is the problem you are trying to resolve, but there is or will be an issue. This could be a headgasket failure on that low cylinder.

SC'er said:
Well not to be the bearer of bad news but if you have 130 lbs of compression on several cylinders and 95 on another that is not good! There shouldn't be more than a 10% variance in compression over all the cylinders. Not saying this is the problem you are trying to resolve, but there is or will be an issue. This could be a headgasket failure on that low cylinder.

You are correct but oddly these motors will still run fairly strong like that. This would not be the problem he is having now but I do see a head gasket and valve job in his future though.

Back