royal purple fluids

pbdevastator

i just saw a video where they changed all the fluids in a ls1 camero to royal purple and they gained close to 9hp on the dyno. now i always use mobile1. i was just wondering some opinions on this from other people, imo i dont believe this would really help that much.

is it worth it.....to me no...especially the oil.... changing it as often as i do...

pbdevastator said:
i just saw a video where they changed all the fluids in a ls1 camero to royal purple and they gained close to 9hp on the dyno. now i always use mobile1. i was just wondering some opinions on this from other people, imo i dont believe this would really help that much.

Range of Error?

pbdevastator said:
i just saw a video where they changed all the fluids in a ls1 camero to royal purple and they gained close to 9hp on the dyno.
I'm always skeptical of such small hp/TQ claims, based on one dyno pull. I think that these small amounts are within the range of error, of the dyno.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
totally possible, remember less friction is less resistance that requires less power to overcome. Possible but more info is needed.

yeah... i saw the video too but nah its not worth it... i use MOBIL 1 products in my SC.... i use 15w50 EXTENDED performance for the motor oil and the MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE oil filter... and i use MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC ATF for the M5R2 tranny and i use the MOBIL 1 75w140 GEAR OIL for the rear end... it has friction modifier already for the LIMITED SLIP but i added a four ounce bottle just to make sure... MOBIL 1 all the way baby..

i used Royal purple in my car 10-40w and Royal Purple in the rear since it also already has the limited slip crap already in it. my car runs better than when i first got it :rolleyes: Royal Purple all the way! woot

Maybe there is some truth to fluids and HP. I just changed to M1 synthetic 5w-30 and i can feel a slight difference. Maybe it's just me.

I dint bother to use the M1 filter, i just went out and got a Fram. I hear theres not much diff. with synthetic filters.

-Nick

filter inards

The big difference in filters is the filter material. Mobil 1 filters are among the best, but if you change the oil frequently -- Mobil 1 is the best name brand (Mobil was the first fully synthetic and holds the patents) -- then the upper grade Frams or Bosch are good for daily driving. Frams also offer filters with anti-flow back so that there is oil in the filter at start up.

Having heard about Royal Purple about ten years ago from a friend, I asked him what was so good about it. He went through the usual blab about how it is better. He said the reason he uses it for his cars was because of what he had found at another shop. This shop replaced two air compressors every two years (somethin along those lines), but after switching to Royal Purple they could go three years. There was one compressor that had a "tick" to it. He said adding a cap ful to the oil got rid of the noise completely.

When I had problems with my 70K M5R2 going into first, I swapped out the fluid for RP trans fluid. I was sold. It worked for 20k more miles and only would grind into third at high RPMs. It was like a new tranny for under fifty bux.

Chris

Sharon Silver said:
The big difference in filters is the filter material. Mobil 1 filters are among the best, but if you change the oil frequently -- Mobil 1 is the best name brand (Mobil was the first fully synthetic and holds the patents) -- then the upper grade Frams or Bosch are good for daily driving. Frams also offer filters with anti-flow back so that there is oil in the filter at start up.

i use K&N oil filters only for all my vehicles. why you ask ? cause they look cool :cool:

Sharon Silver said:

I agree that filter material makes the difference, but Mobil 1 is not the first fully synthetic. Amsoil was. Their filters are also better than the competition's. If you change your oil frequently, you are missing out on one of the benefits of using synthetics and high-quality filters - extended drain intervals. There is a ton of documentation on the benefits of synthetics: less friction equals more HP, less heat, less wear . . . Synthetics are also more stable so if you keep it clean (filtration) you can keep it in the sump longer.

Yes you can extend your usage and oil change interval when using a synthetic. Less breakdown of viscosity and better filtration (when using a good filter)

As for the other fluids, rear transmition ect.....When do you ever change them?....Well worth it in my opinion.

As for royal purple over anyone else? I have no idea.

I only use synthetic oild and change them just as frequently as I would regular oil..Extra safegaurd...

Now did ya know that synthetic oil is just regular oil that is refined that extra step?

Now ya do!

Say WHAT?

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
did ya know that synthetic oil is just regular oil that is refined that extra step?
I'd like to read the documentation which backs up that statement. Are you sure you are not talking about a blended oil?

68COUGAR

Also lots of new filters out there as manufacturers change designs..So who knows..However I;m sure you cant go wrong following the advice

::Drum Roll:: And the advice is...................

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I;m sure you cant go wrong following the advice
And what advice would that be? I think you forgot something, a link maybe?

Confused 68COUGAR

Back