They almost got away with murdering me!!!

I just purchased two new Kumho 235/65 "18 tires for my Mustang last week, and they forgot to tighten the lug nuts on the passenger side. I was driving down the interstate highway and something just did not feel right but I knew I had new tires on the front. With all the thunking around I decided to take a side road and head to a tire store to have the thing checked out. I am so lucky that I stopped when I did.:mad:

Has anyone else had any life threatening episodes due to mechanics???:confused:

Damn I always double check my lugs after getting tires. I work at a goodyear service center and I make sure I go around w/ a torque stick and then hand test it with a torque wrench. I guess some shops aren't as thorough as me.

Lucky you didn't wallow out the holes in the wheel or snap a stud or two off. Should have went in there and made a scene with the manager and let him know how dissatisfied you are.

Scott Long said:
Damn I always double check my lugs after getting tires. I work at a goodyear service center and I make sure I go around w/ a torque stick and then hand test it with a torque wrench. I guess some shops aren't as thorough as me.

Lucky you didn't wallow out the holes in the wheel or snap a stud or two off. Should have went in there and made a scene with the manager and let him know how dissatisfied you are.

The thing is: I went to high school with the owner and he just let me charge $600.00 worth of tires.:eek: :D

The place I bring my tire mounting work locally always tells me to check the lugs after 100 miles after tires are remounted,but what you describe is rediculous I would have pitched a bitch!!:mad:

darriantbird said:
The place I bring my tire mounting work locally always tells me to check the lugs after 100 miles after tires are remounted,but what you describe is rediculous I would have pitched a bitch!!:mad:
Actually I called earlier today, but they were already closed for the weekend. Monday morning I will be putting on a pissed face as I call.;)

This guy wasn't really a mechanic, but knew how to work on cars and how could you go wrong with changing a tire?:eek: It was at work one night and we needed to change a tire out on our sweeper truck and we got started on it and one of the other guys came up and offered to do it for us.:confused:

I figured he knew what he was doing so I left him have at it. On the way to the gas station, something didn't feel right or sound right, so after we got gas, we headed back to the shop to get it checked out.

It's was a Chevy 3500 heavy duty truck, so there were 7-8 lugs (can't remember now how many) and he had only tightened two of them and they weren't torqued or anything. The others were just snugged barely. I'm sure if we had gotten on the highway with some speed, there would have been a problem.

We called him on the phone after discovering that he hadn't tightened them and asked him if he was trying to kill us and he acted like he didn't know what we were talking about. We told him about th lugs and he swore he had tightened all of them. Yeah right.

You were lucky Frank that there wasn't a bigger problem.

Last edited:
RadiumSC said:
You were lucky Frank that there wasn't a bigger problem.

Man, how right you are.
#1 - The rim and tires are worth $600.00 for the one corner of the car.
#2 - I have a very heavy foot when I am running late for work.
#3 - My girlfriend was in the car with me.:mad:

Tire guys are stupid now days

My Dads friend has a 70 CJ 428 mustang with factory mag looking hub caps Big-O tires in Concord Calif re-balanced the tires. Well first off the guy took an air wrench to the hub cap fake lug nut snaped it right off stupid right? cost the shop $475.00 to replace that one hub cap never trust a tire shop

TQ Stick

Scott Long said:
I make sure I go around w/ a torque stick
Scott, can you explain how a TQ stick works? Is it designed to break at a predetermined TQ? I've seen them for sale, & they just look like a skinny a$$ ratchet extension. The colors are nice though!!!

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Scott, can you explain how a TQ stick works? Is it designed to break at a predetermined TQ? I've seen them for sale, & they just look like a skinny a$$ ratchet extension. The colors are nice though!!!

68COUGAR

They are made of different tensile strength super duper rubber. At a certain ft lbs they simply start to twist to avoid overtorquing.

I'm not sure exactly how they work but they do work. I googled torque stick and didn't find much detailed info on them.

I think it flexes at a certain point. Maybe its not solid all the way through.

Jiffy Lube NO MORE

I used to take my SC to Jiffy Lube to have the oil changed, the people there were good. Well, ownership changed hands and the crew was.. well...... "different". I was returning from a trip to Pittsburgh, Pa , SCruising along the PA turnpike at 85-90 when all of a sudden it was like someone opened the door. EVERY light and buzzer was going off. ~~~. It lasted about 2 mins but seemed like forever. It didn't run any different so I continued back to Maryland.

Next day, check the oil and it is off the stick. Got under it to find that Jiffy Lube had crushed my oil filter trying to get it OFF and had put a hole in it. No mention of anything, just sent me on my way. (LUCKILY, I had switched to synthetic oil awhile back.)

I correct the problem and immediately went to the Jiffy Lube with crushed oil filter and receipt in hand. They were apologetic and were willing to "give me 2 free oil changes". I told them to stuff the "free oil changes" since alot more damage could have been done and that they could talk to my attorney. Luckily, there hasn't been any consequences but I am DEFINITELY SOLD ON SYNTHETIC. If it hadn't been for the synthetic oil, my SC would have been toast. Now I''m back to changing my own oil in the parking lot.

A guy I worked with at a Firestone store, years ago :rolleyes: left the lug nuts loose on some slot ET mags that had the adapter spacers on them.....

Firestone ended up buying him a new set of mags for his ride.....

Took a long road trip couple of yrs ago in the wife's Explorer. Had some front end suspension done at a local shop that I'd had plenty of experience with before and they generally did a sufficient job.
Travelled over 900 miles to get to my parents house with no issues. My parents live in a mountaineous area. After we arrived, took the kids to a nearby park. To get there, descended down a steep grade and had to make a sharp right turn into the park when something went noticeable wrong. I had noticed there was a pothole and a rather large rock that I thought my wife had avoided and I thought she hit the rock and the wheel wasn't going over it. She immediately stopped and I told her to back up. When she did, still felt like we were dragging something. Got out and looked and :eek: front drivers side tire/wheel had caved in towards the inner wheel well. Turns out when the shop had replaced a control arm they didn't replace the nut on a bolt and the bolt slipped out when we made the sharp turn. Glad we werent' going fast. Still came close to rolling the vehicle. Fortunately, just had a damaged shock and minor wheel damage. Shop's insurance ended up paying the local shop near my parents cost of repair.

dirtybird91 said:
Actually I called earlier today, but they were already closed for the weekend. Monday morning I will be putting on a pissed face as I call.;)

Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont know how effective a pissed off face will be over the phone!!:D

repoman27 said:
Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont know how effective a pissed off face will be over the phone!!:D

Hahahaha! :D :D :D Trust me! You won't get your point across if you are smiling when you make the call.;)

Back