Can"t find 2nd gear with my 5 spd

SuperDad

I have a 95 SC with a 5 spd. When shifting into 2nd gear, it gets cought up alot. Does anyone know if the b & M ripper shifter helps that situation (making it smoother) or could it be my tranny?:rolleyes:

Hang Time

SuperDad said:
I have a 95 SC with a 5 spd. When shifting into 2nd gear, it gets cought up alot. Does anyone know if the b & M ripper shifter helps that situation (making it smoother) or could it be my tranny?:rolleyes:
My late model tranny has a ripper & the same problem as yours, so the Ripper won't fix it. I think it's the blocker (syncro) rings. I'm going to have XR7Dave look at mine this summer. Mine hangs up for 2 seconds between shifts. No grinding, just this unbearable hang time.

68COUGAR

Thanks for the info.
Mine doesn't hang up that long, it's just.........kinda tight. The tranny seems to be OK, but I raced a friend of mine the other night in his infinity, and even with mad wheel spin & hop, I kept up with him until I tried to go hard into 2nd, then, I let the clutch out too soon, thinking it was in & I grinded it a little,
pretty embarrassing.
I'm wondering if I have the trans serviced, if it will clean it up, or I'm really afraid they will mess it up more.
Thanks again

Hey guys,

I have the same situation as you guys! I rebuilt my transmission with new brass blockers and I do have a Ripper shifter setup. It was a very smooth setup the first month or so but after that it started to act just like you say! It could be the blockers, I have heard stock blockers run smoother if you can find any. I believe that is just a M5R2, I suggest yanking harder on the shifter :D !!

Later,
Brandon

I am not that familiar with the mechanics of a transmission, are the blockers expensive to replace? how accessable are they? does the tranny have to be taken out to work on it?
By the way will I do more damage by yanking on it harder?
Thanks

Back