Whos got the balls?

• Thread starter xThunderbirdSCx
  • Start date
X

xThunderbirdSCx

Anyone here have the balls to top out their SC on the freeway (or whatever)

...i punked out at what i think was about 135, i was in 5th gear at 4800 rpm.

So whos done it? Tell a story!

Topped 152 . well, that what the cop said i was doing. lost the car and spent time in jail for that lil joy ride. Picked up a 89 sc. in the process to make this one faster than the last one. I'll never learn.

Not sure if I topped it out but I had an 89 5 speed that we took across I-20 in Ga a few years ago, and lost the speedo at 145 in 5th with the rpms at about 5200. Still had pedal left though so Im not sure how much more it had left. I can say though that I lost the pass side turn signal lens and the windshield was moving in and out on us.. So needles to say at that speed and seeing the windshield deal I gave up, too fast for me.

S

fastest i ever hit was 132 or so. The sunroof gets noisy when you're going that fast, even if its closed.

-nick

140-150 for about an hour. It was in a foreign country so it was 250+ kph in an 80. Fell in with a ferrari that wanted to move, let it get a mile or 2 out front and just kept with it. I was watching for his brake lights and constantly watching the rearview for any fast movers. Did a 2 hour trip in less than an hour. It just got real quiet and real smooth. I guess I had about another quarter left to go on the accelerator, just lacked the guts. As it was, I was constantly wiping my sweating palms.

Had a 35th auto redlined in overdrive with stock gears raceing a LT1 on the highway. After that my lifters allways chattered untill I installed roller rockers??

Did it twice.

Once I hit 147 and the second time I hit 153 after a few mods. The first time was the scariest though. Let me tell you S rated tires do not like much more that 125-130. I had H rated tires on when I broke 150 and they felt pretty good, but it was still pretty nerve racking, especially when those curves came up and I had to lean in on the brakes pretty hard. These stock brakes where not made for quick stops from extreme high speeds.:D

The only problem I have is , how can you quote speeds over 145 in these cars especially with speedodmeter errors. The one and only time I outran my speedo I had to figure it by rpms and can only guess as to the speed. I think that we are just guestimating here.
The only way I can see that you would know exactly how fast you were going is by calculating your gearing by the rpms, and then you have the margine of error to factor in to the equation.
From what I saw the first time (and only) time I did it, anything above about 130 you would have windshield cavitation and not all of them are created equal, so somewhere along the line someone would have a windshield in their face and not be here to talk about it, along with a possible blow out at those speeds, hitting something etc.
You all can do it all you want to but Im happy to just cruise around with mine anymore, with the occaisional munch on a smart a&*, these things are too much fun to risk killing myself or anyone else to hit those speeds anymore, not to mention the cost to repair the damages to the drivetrain.
But to each their own.

S

shadow357x2 said:
The only problem I have is , how can you quote speeds over 145 in these cars especially with speedodmeter errors. The one and only time I outran my speedo I had to figure it by rpms and can only guess as to the speed. I think that we are just guestimating here.
The only way I can see that you would know exactly how fast you were going is by calculating your gearing by the rpms, and then you have the margine of error to factor in to the equation.
From what I saw the first time (and only) time I did it, anything above about 130 you would have windshield cavitation and not all of them are created equal, so somewhere along the line someone would have a windshield in their face and not be here to talk about it, along with a possible blow out at those speeds, hitting something etc.
You all can do it all you want to but Im happy to just cruise around with mine anymore, with the occaisional munch on a smart a&*, these things are too much fun to risk killing myself or anyone else to hit those speeds anymore, not to mention the cost to repair the damages to the drivetrain.
But to each their own.

S

Ok.:rolleyes:

Well, the speed for me was calculated by several different calculators and is as close as I could get it for both, because I only that the 120 speedo that is how I had to do it (RPM, 5th gear ratio, Rear gear ratio, and tire height).

Now as far as the windshield caving in????????????? It could happen but is still highly unlikely UNLESS something hit it.

Ended up on a 15 mile stretch of highway that was roadblocked off due to being blacktopped the day before. I had it all to myself and thought fresh pavement.

4400 RPMS on the Tach, but it reads about 200 high. So 4200, that would mean about 152. I was only at that for maybe a mile. Then I back down to just under 4k and did that for about 10 miles. Car was bone stock and I had just installed new plugs and wires that day.

I was late for a funeral. Get to my dad's and left it in neutral and running and took a quick shower. When I got to the funeral there were 2 local cops, and 5 sheriff cars and 10 cars from another town. Scared me to death. I forgot the son of the guy that died was a Police Chief and most of his staff showed up for the funeral.

Honest I'm not making this up.

Oh and my windshield was cracked before I did this and it's still has the exact same crack today.

Last edited:
Hock said:
Ok.:rolleyes:

Well, the speed for me was calculated by several different calculators and is as close as I could get it for both, because I only that the 120 speedo that is how I had to do it (RPM, 5th gear ratio, Rear gear ratio, and tire height).

Ok , my point exactly, we have to estimate the speed by calculations and I agree, But Most people just throw numbers to impress.
Basically you havent said anything that I havent already stated, just backed it up, so where the problem with the rolly eyes, dont like the truth? All you have done is state it a little different.
We all know that these and other vehicles have margines of error on the speedo and the tachs so unless we put them in a speed trap how can we be sure what the actual speed is? Granted the calculations are usually accurate, but when we do these calculations do we figure in wind speed, going up or down hill, ambiant (sp) temp and humidity, the numbers are there but there are so many variables. calculators will tell you what it is capable of under ideal conditions, therefore I think that a speed trap is the only way to really tell waht you can do.

S

I agree the speedo's are off, but when I burried mine in OK in my 93SC on a tollroad, the car just kept going faster, so who really knows? It was a bit scarry with Continental touring tires, and the windshield did feel unsafe, along with the sunroof sounding like it was going to suck out. I didnt have the guts to floor it though, plus AOD's dont like full throttle in overdrive. The 90SC I have now wont be doing that though.

i did 120 getting on i95 in north carliona,but my steering wheel was shaking so bad i had to slow up,you can really tell when you need a balancing at that speed.i think it was cause of my bent/restraightened rear wheel...i didnt pay any attention to the rpms though,still felt like it had more to go.all this while my fiance was sleeping in the pass seat..ha ha.and honestly i never really run it hard,that was by far the most i ever"run"it. i was surprised how fast it got there for a larger car.

I peged my 145 mph speedo few times when I had an exhaust only.I don't do stupid staff like that any more,too much to lose:confused:

Did it once in my 94 auto {no one on the road} and it topped out at 130. got there quick and shut it back right away. Was perfectly smooth untill the it hit the speed limiter. just sounded like it was cutting out but I had done alot of work to this car with brand new tires and front end parts and would NOT do this in a car that is 15 years old with worn parts = disaster. You get caught at this speed = bend over:D

shadow357x2 said:
...when we do these calculations do we figure in wind speed, going up or down hill, ambiant (sp) temp and humidity, the numbers are there but there are so many variables...
I don't understand how any of these factors would affect calculating your speed from your tach.

My friend had a 91 SHO with a 140 mph speedometer. We were running out on I-94 one afternoon and pinned it out. I was right next to him in my 92 SC 5-speed. I only had the cats cut off and that was it, stock exhaust, stock airbox. I stood on it and started to walk away from him.

Every once and a while I'll peg out the 120 in my automatic SC. But I don't do it much. I would definately recommend new upper control arms, new lower ball joints, new tie rod ends, a good alignment, balanced wheels, and Z rated tires w/ good tread and good brakes if you are going to try a top speed run.

157 Mph

shadow357x2 said:
The only problem I have is , how can you quote speeds over 145 in these cars
I topped out at 157 on the German autobahn. '89 5-spd XR-7 with a few mods.

I measured the circumference of the tires, & then calculated revolutions per mile. Then run the RPM back through the rear gears (2.73) & through OD (.75), & you get engine RPM. I made a chart showing every single mph & it's associated RPM. Still it's only accurate as your tach.

140 mph is just cruisin. 150 mph is a whole different ballgame. 157 is just plain freaky fast!!!

68COUGAR

I recently installed the 145mph cluster in my SC. Using my laptop and GPS to verify me speed I know my speedo is off approximately 2 MPH @ 75MPH. In other words when my speedo says 75 according to the GPS it is actually 77. That being said, I have had my speedo to 127MPH and chickened out. I just put new spindles, brakes, wheels and h rated tires on my car so I said what the haties, lets go for it. Coming onto I-95 north @ exit 90 in Four Oaks, NC I laid on it and went to redline before shifting in each gear. At about 125 my car started shaking like a dog ~~~~ting razor blades sittin in a pool of alcohol. Given that my car has near 300K I let off it real quick. I have no idea what kind of conditions my ball joints, tie rods, etc... are in. Perhaps that would have been something to check before my excursion. However, I am completely satisfied and have no plans to try to top the 127 I hit the other day. I will be happy with the occasional young kid that looks at my car in total disregard and feels like a dufus when they get spanked. Thats my story!

Back