Yet another audio question.

rhodes588

Okay, so I have everything hooked up, finally. Then I realized, it's never enough, so I'm purchasing two more Alpine Type R Dual 2 OHM VC subs. I already have two of these hooked up to a MA Audio M1900XE 1000Watt (RMS@2 ohms) monoblock amplifier.

My question is, can I run all four of these subs off of the amp and just run the wires in series to all the speakers? Or should I invest (or waste money) in a new amp?

Also, how many ohms would 4 of these 2 ohm dual voice coil subs run at? Ohms has always confused me and if someone could please elaborate on it. The amp's minimum impedance is 2 ohms, by the way.

you could try wiring all the subs for 1 ohm by putting the coils in parallel and each of the pairs of parallel wired coils in series for a total of 4 ohms.

or, you could wire each sub for 4 ohms by putting the coils in series and put each sub in series with another sub to make 2 pairs with a total impedance of 8 ohms each, then put these pairs in parallel, for a total of 4 ohms.

Sounds confusing.... your running 4 subs each w/ (2) 2-ohm VCs, right?

-Nick

They're all dual 2 ohm voice coils, yes. How many ohms would this set up run on, and would it be compatible running on a 1000 watt monoblock? And also that is that wire diagram for the 4 ohm dual voice coil, not the two ohm.

Attachments

• sadasd.jpg
    sadasd.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
rhodes588 said:
They're all dual 2 ohm voice coils, yes. How many ohms would this set up run on, and would it be compatible running on a 1000 watt monoblock? And also that is that wire diagram for the 4 ohm dual voice coil, not the two ohm.

IF the amp is stable at 1OHM, your'e good to go....

...i've seen a few amps that arent even 2 ohm stable. But yeah, if the coils are each 2 ohms, all you have to decide how to wire them so that total they meet teh impedance requirement of the amp.

-nick

My amp is 2 ohm stable but is NOT 1 ohm stable. Is there anyways I can wire 4 Dual 2 ohm voice coiled subs to run on 2 ohms?

I might have to end up buying another amp and getting a couple of distributor boxes.

rhodes588 said:
I might have to end up buying another amp and getting a couple of distributor boxes.

Yup ive been in that spot before, Either destroy the amp or have not enough power to run the setup. You really need 2 4OHM woofers to make full use of your amp it sounds like...
I ended up getting a 15 and another amp IN ADDITION to what I already had!:D

Back